Do you experiment with HDR photography?

9 years 2 months ago #427595 by Harper Coswell
Who hasn't read all the colorful back and forth about HDR.  So doesn't anyone still experiment with it?  I found this software called Photomatix, how does this compare to the HDR software built into Phtooshop?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427641 by effron
I use HDR in Photoshop occasionally.. Photomatix is a good program but PS caught up fairly well. When I have an over contrasting scene I'll use HDR but mostly just blend a couple shots. If its obvious, I delete the attempt......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427648 by Joves
I pretty much experiment and play with everything. The other beauty of doing things digitally is you can revert until you save something as a hard data file. But then I only save them as copies, and retain the original. HDR is merely stacking images exposed differently, and then throwing out the bad parts. Some people consider bit mapping as HDR, and it is not. That is where you take a single image, and try to get an HDR image, it is not even close to the same thing. 

9 years 2 months ago #427661 by Happy Snapper
A few years ago I did, but haven't in some time lately. 

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427692 by Jessa Layton
Yes, however my results aren't all that good most of the time.  I was told a good HDR shouldn't be noticeably fake.  Mine always seem to look a little 'off'.  So it's a work in progress.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427707 by Alan Nunez
I really enjoy Night and low light long exposure photography and I enjoy working with HDR. You are right it needs to be well done. I prefer Photoshop but only because I can not be bothered learning another tool.

9 years 2 months ago #427734 by Adam Nagle
When I first got started a little, but it's so time consuming and most of mine looked fake as well.  The challenge with HDR is a done of post processing work.  Perhaps that is why I didn't stick with it.  I'd rather be out behind the camera. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427787 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh, it's called shooting raw and playing with levels. :P
9 years 2 months ago #427819 by Harper Coswell
What is?  I thought in order to make an HDR shot you need to bracket a number of photos together?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427918 by Frost Photography
On and off, not to much these days.  No time.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428085 by Stanly
No, I have to many other areas that I'm focusing on these days.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428113 by riddell
I shoot and do HDR all the time, and have been for 10 years, way before HDR was a buzzword and everyone jumped on the bandwagon because they thought it was fun.

I use it commercially and will continue to do so.

Since your question was 'do you experiment?' The answer is every single time I've tried anything new in terms of any of the techniques I read about on the internet, or try using any of the applications, programs or plugins etc. all they do is result in a very amateur looking image. Awful.

Therefore I'll continue to use the only technique that works in my opinion to create commercial grade images which is to bracket and manually blend the images in PS, which is the sole technique I've been using for 10 years.

9 years 1 month ago #428165 by dragosticu
Hello!

There are many nice HDR photos, but my opinion, is that this technique is very close to photo manipulation.
I prefer the classic way: no manipulation.

Of course, probably for commercial reasons is a good technique.

Dragos

9 years 1 month ago #428243 by Greg Friedman
I love HDR, when I was messing around with creating them, mine just suck!  lol 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428266 by Joves

Harper Coswell wrote: What is?  I thought in order to make an HDR shot you need to bracket a number of photos together?

If you are referencing what Ninja/Adrian wrote, then he was kidding. Hence this :P smilie.

dragosticu wrote: Hello!

There are many nice HDR photos, but my opinion, is that this technique is very close to photo manipulation.
I prefer the classic way: no manipulation.

Of course, probably for commercial reasons is a good technique.

Dragos

I know that you do this as a hobby so I have to tell you that it is not manipulation, but an old technique we even did with film. You use HDR to catch the Dynamic Range of a subject that has too great of a range for the camera to capture. As an example. If you expose correctly for the brightest part of the image, and then the dark areas are too dark to see, or recover, then  you use HDR techniques. This means you get as many properly exposed frames for the dark end, the middle range, and the bright areas, then you combine as many of those images as you want or need to get a well exposed image. You throw out the bad parts of the images obviously.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024