Release needed when recording video from quadcopter?

9 years 1 month ago #427915 by NickSano
As some of you know, I just gave in and bought one of those DJI Phantoms.  I had my first encounter of a not so friendly person today telling me that he could sue me because I was recording video and I didn't have their permission.  Mind you, I was in a public park flying my "bug" (that's what I call it) I would guess 200-300 feet up.  I told the couple they would be so tiny because the camera was so high up. 

Quadcopter laws are so new, when you are recording video or taking photos from a elevation of let's say 300 feet.  Do you need to get permission from anyone in order to post that video on YouTube?  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427931 by Joe Peterson
How would you even know who is in it, till you view it?  I doubt it.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427933 by Scott Klubeck
I doubt that one would be needed

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427962 by garyrhook
This has nothing to do with video, and your victim was mistaken.

In the US there is no assumption of privacy when in a public space. You are free to capture anything and everything you can see from a public location, providing you do not use "special" equipment (which may include a really long lens). You do not need a release to capture someone's image, nor do you need one to see your work containing their image. You might need one to resell for commercial purposes (stock footage, e.g.) but I am not sure about how that works.

Whether it's wise to take photographs in public is another issue, especially with children.

How you handle(d) this is probably the biggest challenge you faced. Some folks don't understand reason or the law. And then there's the issue of ignorant police officers should someone try to give you a very hard time.

All that said, the law was on your side.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: JeremyS
9 years 1 month ago #427995 by Ontherocks
:agree:

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428093 by Sawyer
Absolutley not.  At least not now you don't.  Knowing history, most likely a series of idiots will cause law makers to add some rediculous laws for flying these.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428149 by Patty Ganahl
My husband just got one of these, I'm sure he'd be interested in this thread.  The last couple weeks I've been watching all these nutty video's he has shared with me of people flying and some doing silly things with these drones.  While some are making just amazing looking videos.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428170 by icepics
This might be too new for there to be a lot of information yet on usage. You could go to http://asmp.org or try PPA for info. on releases. Usually you need a model or property release for retail or commercial use of photos. For editorial use such as newspapers usually a release isn't needed but a publication may request one. Typically the guideline is if the subject is recognizable.

I would think a park is public but it depends on who owns the property. Some places (museums, arboretums, sports venues etc.) limit cameras/lenses or require fees or permits for photographers to use the property for a photo shoot, or to be able to use images of the property. In this case I don't think people in a public park would have an expectation of privacy any more than if a news crew showed up. However people would know the purpose of a news crew, they don't know you or why you're recording video or what you intend to do with it so that seems to be why people have concerns about it. 

There were already some guidelines in place and they're being redeveloped by the FAA. These are considered to be unmanned aircraft. From what I've read using them is allowed as a hobby but not for commercial use; they need to be in sight of the person operating it and within a certain number of feet etc. I don't know if you'll be held responsible if it crashes and injures someone or damages something, but if it has GPS and is recording video it can be tracked back. Apparently there will be new rules that will require training and possibly a license to operate.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428176 by garyrhook
It may be worth pointing out, also, that the issue of videography of folks in a public location is completely separate from the issue of operating a drone. The two really have nothing to do with one another.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428193 by icepics
That's true, there seems to be more involved in using a UAV for videography than using a camera.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428288 by Ryan711

garyrhook wrote: It may be worth pointing out, also, that the issue of videography of folks in a public location is completely separate from the issue of operating a drone. The two really have nothing to do with one another.

Not trying to be argumentative, but how do you see it that way?  The camera is part of the drone. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428303 by garyrhook

Ryan711 wrote:

garyrhook wrote: It may be worth pointing out, also, that the issue of videography of folks in a public location is completely separate from the issue of operating a drone. The two really have nothing to do with one another.

Not trying to be argumentative, but how do you see it that way?  The camera is part of the drone. 

The issue is videography. Who says the video camera has to be airborne? A handheld videocam also captures images of folks in a public location, to which some ignorant and thoughtless people might take exception. What's the copter got to do with that?

Nothing. Just because some idiot in a park says so, doesn't make it so. People are remarkably adept at conflating issues, which only leads to obfuscation and rabbit trails. I prefer to stay on subject.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428512 by NickSano
Big thanks everyone, I'm glad I posted this! 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428662 by SJM
:blink:

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024