What do you expect from models that you hire for photo shoots?

9 years 1 month ago #428814 by Ruby Grace
When you hire a model for a photo shoot, are you expecting them to have changes of cloths?  Do their own hair and makeup?  Posing knowledge, etc.?  

I don't have a huge level of experience hiring models, but finding myself in the position where I'm hiring more and more.  Which, I'm noticing these models come in all different experiences and features and perks (doing own hair, makeup, posing knowledge, wardrobe changes,etc.).  

What are your expectations of models hired?  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428890 by garyrhook
That they now how to pose. Other than that, I would not expect anything that hadn't been discussed.

You (the photographer) likely have some idea as to what you want to do, what look you require, and what your project is all about. I would think that you would discuss with the modelling candidate your expectations and find out what they bring to the table regarding all of those aspects. Some will do hair and make-up, some will expect you to hire an artist.

All that to say, I don't think there's a fixed answer.  Heck, someone new might not even be any good at posing.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428897 by Sawyer
1.  Knows how to pose
2. Knows how to improvise
3. Change of cloths 
4.  Does good makeup 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429032 by effron

Sawyer wrote: 1.  Knows how to pose
2. Knows how to improvise
3. Change of cloths 
4.  Does good makeup 

...and if none of above, they need to bring the lunch!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429077 by Moossmann
:agree:  and have most of their teeth.  :rofl:   Sorry I couldn't resist!   

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429144 by One Wish
Sawyer you pretty much got all the expectations.   Depending on the shoot, it's important to communicate expectations with the model before getting on location.  So, if I know change of cloths will be needed or certain makeup, I'll let them know ahead of time.  With the exception of one case, this has never been a problem for me.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429292 by Uplander
To be on time!  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429302 by Tim Dordeck
Being on time and having a ward rope change.

AND looking like their photos

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024