New York Times Exposes Peter Lik Photography Scheme

9 years 3 weeks ago #428869 by Ted Baker
After reading someones question about most expensive photo sold, it got me digging and then I came across this:  news.artnet.com/in-brief/new-york-times-...graphy-scheme-264858

WOW.

I need time to process this.  However in the mean time, how do you feel about this?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #428879 by stuartsbarbie
So many people lying about their achievements now days.  It is about time they start getting called out for them

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #428884 by icepics
Wow is right, but yet in a way I don't find it so surprising that there's something about him and his photos that isn't quite what it seemed to be. I guess because to me his photos seem so processed and he's so over hyped, I just didn't know how much he seems to be doing much of the hyping himself.

I suppose the more it comes out that he's pricing the photos himself and saturating the market the more people will realize his photos aren't even close to holding their value. I'd think eventually people would stop paying those prices for his photos; it might be the beginning of the end of his popularity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/business/peter-liks-recipe-for-success-sell-prints-print-money.html

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #428886 by garyrhook
Oh, dear.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #428891 by ThatNikonGuy

garyrhook wrote: Oh, dear.

The man with many normally many words, leaves just two here? I guess certain low hanging fruit are best to walk away from. :rofl:

My thoughts on this thread:  Well people are looking vanity in the 'craftiest' ways they can.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #428896 by Sawyer
:blink:

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #428934 by Happy Snapper
Yikes!

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429016 by Don Fischer
Hey, I don't have a problem with it. He's selling to mature adults with to much disposable income that don't reach search the product their buying. Weather they are collector item's or not depend's on the people he sell's them to. Hey they have a collection of them and happy with them, they are collector items. I wouldn't pay the price of an original Ansel Adams. I don't buy things as a collector, I buy them because I like them. There's a well known bird dog artist on facebook that messaged me for permission to paint a couple of my photo's. Told him go for it, hope he get's a million dollar's for them. I think the only reason Peter Lik get's any flack is because he is so successful in what he's doing. More power to him. I am an adult and except the responsibility for the decisions I make, good or bad!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadowfixer1
9 years 3 weeks ago #429044 by EOS Man
What ever floats his boat :blink:

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #429081 by garyrhook

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Oh, dear.

The man with many normally many words, leaves just two here? I guess certain low hanging fruit are best to walk away from. :rofl:

Hey!  What are you saying? :huh:

B)

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429089 by Scotty
They didn't unravel any scheme because there isn't any.  He made one print of something, and somebody bought it for that price.  Investing in art is really risky because trends come and go.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429206 by JaneK
I'm going to agree with Scotty on this one.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429260 by icepics
The actual NY Times article refers to it as a 'recipe'; I guess it can be called whatever someone wants to call it. Why it's significant I think is that it seems like he's been selling his photos at high prices that apparently aren't even close to retaining their value. I would think this coming out would keep people from being quite so willing to pay exorbitant prices that he asks.

I don't know if there's any way to know what was actually paid unless the buyer and/or the artist/photographer wants to make public some verification of the payment. If it goes thru a gallery or agency or auction there would be a record of the sale besides just what the buyer or seller says.

What makes it questionable I think is when he seems to have purposely inflated prices and saturated the market (by the number of prints he's typically done of a photo), doubled the actual value of his home, etc. - that seems to make his word less trustworthy or believable.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429273 by Rocket Man
The guy made $6 million on a photo.  I say good for him.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024