Why B&H or Adorma have no stores on West coast?

9 years 3 weeks ago #429006 by Greg Friedman
How come these stores didn't branch out like Samy's or Calumet?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429017 by Don Fischer
I haven't a clue but I would guess it has to do with everything going through one location. They eliminate the overhead of more store's around the country. Simply the store's themselves, just the store, no product be very expensive. Add on to That more labor cost's and higher insurance bill's wow! The shipping from New York is probably to acceptable to open more store's. I wish they would, one here in Central Ore but it isn't gonna happen. i live in a very small town, pop under 40. Wonder why Walmart won't build a store here???? 

By the way, Camera World had a very nice store in Portland, Ore years back. Shut it down, overhead for the amount of sales they had was to high. There are no small camera store's around anymore in Central Oregon, wasn't profitable enough to keep them open. To bad I really like going into them and just look.

9 years 3 weeks ago #429021 by icepics
Wasn't Calumet the company that was sold by the original owners? then ownership had branched out to more locations, filed for bankruptcy and closed up overnight?

Samy's has other locations but all in Califormia/west coast I thought.

Maybe it's not worth it for Adorama or B&H to expand locations, but better to have fast processing and shipping.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429030 by effron
Why mess with a successful business model? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, me thinks. The obvious reason is cost.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429064 by Don Fischer

effron wrote: Why mess with a successful business model? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, me thinks. The obvious reason is cost.....;)

Many years ago when I drove for a living I ws talking with a guy at a trk stp in Illinois. He told me he had a company that made soap, did a really good business. Then someone came along and suggested another product that was getting hot at the time, he turned them down. I asked him why, seemed like he could make a killing. He told me, maybe but I know how to make soap and make a lot of money doing that. said he didn't know the first thing about that other product. Bet he's still selling soap to this day!

9 years 3 weeks ago #429076 by Moossmann

effron wrote: Why mess with a successful business model? There's no need to reinvent the wheel, me thinks. The obvious reason is cost.....;)

To expand and rule the world  :evil:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429078 by garyrhook

Greg Friedman wrote: How come these stores didn't branch out like Samy's or Calumet?  

Because they wanted to stay in business? Because they understood their market? Because they were pioneers when it came to catalog sales of electronics (well, B&H at least)?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429088 by Soccer Mom
:agree:  exactly  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429246 by Baydream
They understand the market. Brick & mortar costs a ton of money in leases, utilities, personnel and inventory. So many electronics chains failed to see the online wave coming. Circuit City failed and Best Buy is shaky because of that. Amazon has created an entire business online (but for some reason is looking at some radio Shack stores). With delivery options available, B&H and Adorama can be next day sources. The thing they also "sell" is customer service. I personally believe B&H does a bit better job at that, but that has just been my experience.  
Profit margins on cameras is not that fat to start with.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024