Model won't sign model release

9 years 3 weeks ago #429207 by Ted Helm
What do you do when you get on location and the hired model won't sign the model release form?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429209 by effron
Walk away....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #429210 by P2CDude
Well, is the client paying you for their services or is this a portfolio building session. I don't have a problem with folks who do not want their pictures placed on the web or used as part of an advertisement without their prior approval and consent.

So, if this is a paid shoot, I'd shoot and make arrangements to sit down with them to go through their images. If its a TFS or something like that where the purpose is portfolio building etc...then yeah, walk away.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
9 years 3 weeks ago #429216 by Ted Helm
I was paid to bring a model, and the model I hired won't sign a release.  It caused a mess on the job, and I didn't want to move forward, so I had to reschedule.  If I moved forward, myself and my client might be get in trouble with out the release.  

I don't want this to happen again, so seeing what others might have done.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429217 by ThatNikonGuy
Why not have them sign it before the day of the job? 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429219 by Ted Helm
I did send it to her, she had indicated it would be signed and handed to me on the job. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429222 by Joves
I would arrange to meet prior to the shoot, and get the signed release. If the model still does not have it signed, or will not then find another one. The whole idea of her getting paid is so that you can use the images as you please. If she is not good with that then move on, it is really simple to me. I am guessing that you found her on MM, in which case I would leave a thank you for screwing up your shoot by not wanting to sign a release at the last minute. There are far too many Prima Donna types there for my tastes.

9 years 3 weeks ago #429227 by icepics
If a photo shoot is for business or marketing purposes and you'll be needing a release, email it when you're in the process of making arrangements. Give a deadline when you need the release returned far enough ahead of time so you'll be able to locate another model if needed.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #429267 by garyrhook

Ted Helm wrote: I did send it to her, she had indicated it would be signed and handed to me on the job. 

One can't help but wonder what the heck she thinks she's doing as a "model", but this is clearly a learning opportunity for you, right?

Get the release signed when she's hired. In the future, be ready to explain that this is what being a model is all about, and then be ready to move on if you get any push back.

Per a conversation I had with my eldest daughter the other night, we need a "Yelp" for people.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429290 by Uplander
:agree:  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429378 by icepics
I don't think a photographer as a business owner can insist that someone sign a document. If it's explained why a release is necessary for this particular photo shoot/client and the prospective model doesn't want to sign permission, then find someone else. Get more info. on contracts and releases thru PPA or http://asmp.org .  

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429386 by Screamin Scott
What reason did she give for not wanting to sign it ? Something in the verbiage didn't sit well with her ?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429444 by Ted Helm
That's the thing, she didn't give one.  Not to mention very ambiguous about it too.  It was embarrassing.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429481 by Karl Y
I think you got the answer you were looking for.  Just have the model get to you prior to shoot and try to get secondary model on standby for the important jobs.  

9 years 3 weeks ago #429566 by GWS
:agree:   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024