Professional photography is dead!

9 years 1 month ago #429841 by Jill Pomeroy
This title is what caught my attention on a LinkedIn discussion today linking to this article: http://www.asmp.org/strictlybusiness/2015/03/10-year-old-technology-makes-photographers-obsolete/#.VPoy6_zF-Gd

I think the original posters title was a little bit over the top.  Regardless, it's an interesting article. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429845 by ThatNikonGuy
Your initial thoughts on that title were correct.  Blown out of proportion to get clicks IMO.   

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429851 by Joslyn
I can't even take this article serious with a headline like that.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429862 by Howard T
:blink:  hardly factual statement 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429901 by effron
Professional photography is dead!.....long live Professional photography!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429925 by Happy Snapper
Yeah, yeah, death to photography.  Typical doom and gloom story.  I'm sorry but I don't buy this headline for one moment.  What this article is talking about, is essentially the instrument which takes the photo.  It doesn't mean each user is a master at it.  Which means, there will still be amateurs as well as professionals.  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430129 by ShadowWalker
Long live the iPhone!  :rofl:

Doubtful forecast 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430173 by Raymond II
I'm certainly not one to shun innovation and ideas for the future.  The title is misleading.  If they want to focus on gear getting passed up, plausible.  If you are talking about anything else, not buying it.  There will always be the "Pro", who's experience will trump someone just getting into the industry. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430175 by icepics
I think the title is meant to be tongue-in-cheek since it's what a blogger might have written in 1900. Because apparently the same type situation occurred back then.

Photographers usually had studios with a big wooden view camera - then Kodak came out with box Brownies that 'everybody' could use and made it easy to take your own pictures (by that day's technology). But obviously that didn't put an end to professional photography.

ASMP is a professional photographers organization and don't have ads so they probably don't need clicks. If someone is serious about being a pro photographer there are a lot of good resources on their website.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430275 by KENT MELTON

ShadowWalker wrote: Long live the iPhone!  :rofl:

Doubtful forecast 

Exactly! 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #430299 by Larsdevour
If I would get $5 for each time I heard this sentence. :lol:

http://photography-orlando.com/interiors.html

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024