Taking payments with the Square vs PayPal

9 years 2 weeks ago #430000 by Chris Briggs
Ideally I'm after a user comparison between the two.  If you have experience with either or, please post your comments.  Good or bad are welcomed.  I'm trying to decide.  

:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430007 by Scott Klubeck
Go with the Square IMO

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430017 by TvPhotos
I use Square. 

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
9 years 2 weeks ago #430095 by garyrhook
I think you're going to have to go to their respective sites and learn about them both to conduct your comparison.

I use PayPal, and it functions just fine. At the time, SquareUp didn't offer an Android app. I have yet to use it a lot, but it meets my needs.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430127 by ShadowWalker
+1 Square.  I might be wrong, but I believe they were the founders in this space.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430184 by The Gardener
Easy: Square.  I can't stand Paypal

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430262 by effron
Not familiar with Square, but if you go with Paypal be very careful. The surprise will come when you try to remove your CC from the account.  I'd recommend staying away from them....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430312 by garyrhook

ShadowWalker wrote: +1 Square.  I might be wrong, but I believe they were the founders in this space.  

I'm sorry, but that matters because...?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430356 by Carlos
My vote is for the Square 

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430414 by Tim Dordeck
Well I think PayPal has more market share and therefor would lead to more customers being comfortable with you swiping their card.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430476 by garyrhook

Tim Dordeck wrote: Well I think PayPal has more market share and therefor would lead to more customers being comfortable with you swiping their card.  

There is a lot of (now) somewhat irrational hatred of PP based on very shaky / completely inappropriate behavior (on their part) in the past. Much of this due to PP's proclivity to believe the customer when complaints arise, as opposed to the seller. Which is, of course, not always the right thing to do.

However, when it comes to credit card processing, none of that is relevant. They only thing they do is handle a transaction for you.  What the customer does or does not bitch about after the fact has nothing to do with PP; they have to go to their CC issuer to dispute a charge and PayPal is not in this loop. Therefore, it comes down to the service provided and the fees charged; nothing more.

I'll also add here that I have been double-charged by SquareUp due to a processing error on their part. So they are not "perfect" by any means, much less preferred. It took almost a month to get the charge reversed because it's somewhat difficult to contact them.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430561 by Chris Briggs
You guys are helpful, thank you.  Much to consider. :)

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430604 by JD Imagery
Another vote for PayPal

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #430632 by EOS Man
I've used both and frankly, there isn't much difference if you ask me.  Take who ever is going to give you the best deal, your clients won't most likely won't even bother to ask.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024