Controversal photo?

9 years 1 month ago #431092 by Karen Comella
I saw this news article this morning talking about controversial photo.  Honestly I don't get the fuss.  Do you? abcnews.go.com/US/photographer-fights-ba...re/story?id=29557727

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431094 by effron
We've become a nation of whiners, and our media loves to beat it to death. They made you look, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431095 by Don Granger
I got drawn into this one too.  :patriot:

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431113 by KCook

effron wrote: We've become a nation of whiners, and our media loves to beat it to death. They made you look, no?

+ 1

And welcome to politics.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #431152 by Alan Nunez
I am an Australian and I high respect our service people and those who serve their country. I think it is good photo and do not get the fuss. to me it look patriotic. why would anyone think otherwise?

9 years 1 month ago #431212 by icepics
It's not considered to be a proper way to display the US flag. I don't think they may have realized that or meant any disrespect, if anything it seems to be meaningful to them. It might have been worth checking with an organization like the scouts or retired military etc. as to what's considered appropriate ways to display the flag.

The idea of using it as a sling to put a baby in isn't a good idea anyway (from my perspective in early intervention). Those type carriers can be dangerous depending on the baby's age if the child is positioned with the chin on the chest; if the baby cannot yet lift the head the child may not be able to breathe.

So this was probably not the best idea although it might have had good intentions.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431228 by hghlndr6

icepics wrote: It's not considered to be a proper way to display the US flag. I don't think they may have realized that or meant any disrespect, if anything it seems to be meaningful to them. It might have been worth checking with an organization like the scouts or retired military etc. as to what's considered appropriate ways to display the flag.

The idea of using it as a sling to put a baby in isn't a good idea anyway (from my perspective in early intervention). Those type carriers can be dangerous depending on the baby's age if the child is positioned with the chin on the chest; if the baby cannot yet lift the head the child may not be able to breathe.

So this was probably not the best idea although it might have had good intentions.

There's actually a Federal Law covering that.    See United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10.

www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#36
9 years 1 month ago #431234 by Alan Nunez

hghlndr6 wrote:

icepics wrote: It's not considered to be a proper way to display the US flag. I don't think they may have realized that or meant any disrespect, if anything it seems to be meaningful to them. It might have been worth checking with an organization like the scouts or retired military etc. as to what's considered appropriate ways to display the flag.

There's actually a Federal Law covering that.    See United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10.

www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#36

Wow, that is really detailed

9 years 1 month ago #431280 by Baydream

I agree 100%. People want to make this a issue of disrespect but it should be one of the safety of an infant.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431319 by Don Granger
I find so much humor in this.  Not so much of the image, just how this get's blown out of proportion! 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431450 by Roy Wilson

Don Granger wrote: I find so much humor in this.  Not so much of the image, just how this get's blown out of proportion! 

+1 Agree!!

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431518 by Todd Knight
:blink:  Not seeing this a big deal 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #431532 by Joves

Roy Wilson wrote:

Don Granger wrote: I find so much humor in this.  Not so much of the image, just how this get's blown out of proportion! 

+1 Agree!!

+2 :agree:
People getting all worked up with this just need to go out and find something to fill their empty hours, because it is obvious that they have too much idle time on their hands. A flag of any kind is merely a symbol of a country, nothing more noting less. I think our flag represents a mere shell of what this country was, and as such is meaningless to me. Clinging to it like that shows that some peoples priorities are out of whack, the only thing that this country still has, but barely after 9/11, is our founding principles, and its documents The Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. Everything else in my opion is pure fluff, because without the countries leaders following the second the flag itself is meaningless.

9 years 1 month ago #431586 by Tony Bisson
+3 what ever makes the media happy :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #431622 by garyrhook

Tony Bisson wrote: +3 what ever makes the media happy :rofl:

Um, did you read the article?

The media didn't cause/create all the rabid knee-jerk response on Facebook, which is where this started; they only reported it. While I'm not clear that this does not violate the flag code (OMG talk about anal....) you'd think folks understood that a serviceman approved, for his family, and it's really no one else's freakin' business.

These nut jobs don't care about freedom, they care about control. As long as they're in control.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024