Going outdoors after 15 years in the studio.

9 years 1 week ago #431677 by JohnLRush
My landscape experience was around 15 years ago shooting medium format film cameras. My digital experience has been 99% studio portraits. I just bought a Sony a7r mirror-less and have the outdoor bug again. My questions are more toward the transition from film to digital so here goes...

Why would a landscape photographer NOT use the "vivid" setting. In fact, why not use vivid for almost all types of photos?

Is there still a need for certain filters like a polarizer to enhance certain colors and reduce glare and unwanted reflections? What about yellow or red filters for B&W photos?

Why shoot in B&W when you can convert from color in Photoshop?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

9 years 1 week ago #431683 by JeremyS
Shoot raw, that way all settings such as vivid do not apply and you create your own problems. 

As for polarizers, that and ND filters are the only two filters that are still very important to use. 

As for your B&W question, always shoot colour and process in black and white, that way you have much more control over the look of the final image. 

Cheers :)

9 years 1 week ago #431690 by effron

Takennnn wrote: Shoot raw, that way all settings such as vivid do not apply and you create your own problems. 

As for polarizers, that and ND filters are the only two filters that are still very important to use. 

As for your B&W question, always shoot colour and process in black and white, that way you have much more control over the look of the final image. 

Yup....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago #431691 by Joves

effron wrote:

Takennnn wrote: Shoot raw, that way all settings such as vivid do not apply and you create your own problems. 

Yup....;)

:agree:
For the most part. Where I differ with many is in the just shoot RAW end of it. I shoot in RAW+ Jpeg Fine. The reason being that if my Jpeg comes out really close to what I want then I am good. Also say I want to save a copy of the image in a larger file format then with my editing software I can apply the Jpegs settings to the RAW file, and then do my minor tweaks to the image, and then convert to the larger file. I also love playing with the cameras settings to see what I can get from it. I like to try and get the image as close to right in the camera.
Now as why not shoot in vivid all the time, I do many times, but I have my custom vivid settings as well as the cameras standard, and the same in the normal as well. There are times when I do not want overly saturated images, so I tweak the settings for effect. You can do a whole lot in the camera really once you learn how the settings affect the images. I look at it as picking certain films, for a subject. Also it makes me feel more in control as well.
Welcome to the digital world. Once you get it down, you will not miss film.
Also the yellow filter is also good for flat light days when it is heavily overcast, as it still does have the effect of enhancing detail. If you want a true White Balance though, you need to do a measurement to cancel it out color wise.

9 years 1 week ago #431701 by Joan Barnes
I'll add that it's all preference too.  Shoot and process to your liking vs what others like or dislike.  

9 years 1 week ago #431702 by KCook

Joan Barnes wrote: I'll add that it's all preference too.  Shoot and process to your liking vs what others like or dislike.  

+ 1

"Vivid" depends on the camera brand.  With my Olympus M4/3 it really overcooks the saturation.  In any event, this setting becomes moot with RAW.

I do carry a polarizing filter around, but have not found a scene yet where it makes much difference.  Now 95% of my photography is in a big city.  Grungy air may nullify the polarizing effect.

Setting the camera to B&W lets you see the LCD review in B&W.  But the RAW image will still have full color.  (Somebody will now be along to 'splain that there is no such thing as a RAW image :rolleyes  )

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 week ago #431852 by Joves

KCook wrote:

Joan Barnes wrote: I'll add that it's all preference too.  Shoot and process to your liking vs what others like or dislike.  

+ 1

"Vivid" depends on the camera brand.  With my Olympus M4/3 it really overcooks the saturation.  In any event, this setting becomes moot with RAW.

I do carry a polarizing filter around, but have not found a scene yet where it makes much difference.  Now 95% of my photography is in a big city.  Grungy air may nullify the polarizing effect.

Setting the camera to B&W lets you see the LCD review in B&W.  But the RAW image will still have full color.  (Somebody will now be along to 'splain that there is no such thing as a RAW image :rolleyes  )

Kelly

Yeah you live in the valley. I could always taste the air when I was dropping into Black Canyon City. So yeah the polarizer will not clean the air.
I have shot RAW images before at a nudist colony. :P

9 years 1 week ago #431943 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: I have shot RAW images before at a nudist colony.

Ba-da-bump... psssshhhhh!

What they said.

There are two things you can't really fake exactly in photoshop: A polarizer and using an ND filter to slow down the shutter. A polarizing filter (CPL) can help you get deeper sky color and reduce glare / reflections. So, yes. And you already know what an ND will do.

Learn to shoot RAW and process your images. Don't let the camera make the decisions for you.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024