How many of you are actually handing a camera before you make the purchase?

9 years 1 month ago #432010 by KCook
Of course I would like to, but no, I didn't.  Now that the rental companies are offering so many different cameras I might rent first in the future.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #432022 by effron
I handled a D800 before I bought one, but not the same one and months afterward.  I usually upgrade in the same series, and always a Nikon so its no big deal, especially since the major sellers all have a thirty day return window......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432055 by Conner
And when you do handle it, is that the store you bought it from? 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432060 by Alan Nunez
I always hire or borrow a body before I buy it.

9 years 1 month ago #432066 by effron

Conner wrote: And when you do handle it, is that the store you bought it from? 

Not me. The only B&M store in my area refuses to stock Nikon. I handled a D800 owned by another photographer at a fireworks show. Really, it was no different in layout or size from my D700. As far as buying from a place that stocks them, I saw an interesting event once at a BestBuy, where a woman wanted a D3000 kit (if I recall correctly) the salesperson told her only the demo was left. He gave her ten percent off. I can't remember exactly, it was around six hundred after discount and for curiosity's sake I checked online returning home to see she could have saved well over a hundred bucks on a unit that didn't have soft drink stains on it.
 These stores are disappearing because of themselves, not me buying from better sources for less money.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432069 by Don Fischer
I got my D70 years ago from a camera store in Bend, did handle it. Only D7000 I'd ever seen was at the Costco in Bend, long way from home; couldn't afford it then. Everything else I bough sight unseen. The Bend store is gone now so the closest store is in Portland, about 180 mi. I only buy Nikon too because that's what I've always had starting way back in the film days. Don't have a problem one with Nikon or Canon or even Pentax.I'd buy any of those brands sight unseen these days if I was looking to change but only from B&H or Adorama, I trust them.

9 years 1 month ago #432074 by Shadowfixer1
I generally handle a camera before buying but I ordered my Nikon D200 when it was announced. I was in the first shipment and had my camera in hand before the local stores did. Most people I ran into hadn't even heard of a D200 when I got it. The same was true for my 18-200 lens. I got the first one in town and most people didn't even knew it existed.
9 years 1 month ago #432181 by Ian Stone
I live in NYC, so heading into B&H or Adorma is super easy for me.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432289 by Jim Photo
A friend had this camera so was able to try out there

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432296 by stuartsbarbie
I am a tactile person so I had to have my hands on many cameras before I actually bought one.  If I were to buy another I would do the same.  Being that I have been doing this high end camera stuff for a little over a year now I want to be comfortable.  I have to say no I did not buy from the store I studied cameras at the most.  They were extremely rude so I went somewhere else.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432305 by Vladimir
My last camera I didn't, I just ordered on Amazon

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432395 by Meskill
Well don't be surprised if the only way to handle a camera is by traveling to NYC to visit Adorama or B&H.  So many smaller camera shops closing down these days.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432421 by MM Images
Than, by many.  I'm not alone

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432520 by Joves
The last camera I even held, and played with the layout was my D50. After that I pretty much knew what any successive bodies would be like. They might change one of the function buttons, but it will not be a major change. Well unless I bought a Df, but that isn't going to happen.

9 years 1 month ago #432625 by Ben Vanderbilt

Alan Nunez wrote: I always hire or borrow a body before I buy it.

+1 same here

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024