Cell phone cameras will catch up to DSLR quality?

9 years 4 weeks ago #432160 by Zorka
This isn't meant to roll out any doom and gloom thoughts.  Just a curious question.  I have a iPhone 6 and my friend just got a new Samsung phone.  Both of use are thrilled with the cameras in these.  Does it compare to my DSLR, not a chance, but it's really good considering the size of the lens these things have.  

So, do you think the day will come where these could trump the image quality of our DSLRs?  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432166 by Jason Oldman
Tough to say, perhaps in 5 years.  Got me, the thing to keep in mind is while cell cameras are improving so are the DSLR's.  So your chasing a needle that is always improving too. 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432182 by Glen Mosley
Jason, makes a good point.  Cell phone cameras are on a rise, and becoming much better.  However I think it will be some time before it will take over image quality of a DSLR.

I agree though, my iphone 6 takes killer shots!

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432204 by Uplander
They are getting better, but the sensors are just to small right now.  There are some cool things you can do with screw on lenses too.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432206 by JeremyS
I doubt that they will for the simple fact of sensor size, I see more and more cameras claiming higher MP counts and thats all great, but when you have 50MP of data on a sensor that is half the size of a DSLR sensor, the noise will be absolutely unbearable. Until they can find a huge breakthrough with sensors, which will in turn increase DSLR quality as well, phone cameras can get only so close before they will be halted in their tracks. 

9 years 4 weeks ago #432218 by garyrhook
Just... no. There are electrical and physical considerations here, and the lens has to be taken into account.

I'll stick to my position: mobile phone photos, iPhone 6 included, suck. The bar has been moved immeasurably low, and it's just tragic.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432243 by Zorka

garyrhook wrote: Just... no. There are electrical and physical considerations here, and the lens has to be taken into account.

I'll stick to my position: mobile phone photos, iPhone 6 included, suck. The bar has been moved immeasurably low, and it's just tragic.

Boy, someone had an extra serving of bad attitude pie this morning!  :rofl:    when you factor in where mobile iphoneography has come, to say it's "moved immeasurably low" is just incorrect.  

Compare the camera in a cell phone from 5 years ago and compare to what is in there now.  Not to mention to get any decent photo from a stinky device of this size is pretty great if you ask me.  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432246 by garyrhook

Zorka wrote: Boy, someone had an extra serving of bad attitude pie this morning!  :rofl:    when you factor in where mobile iphoneography has come, to say it's "moved immeasurably low" is just incorrect.  

Compare the camera in a cell phone from 5 years ago and compare to what is in there now.  Not to mention to get any decent photo from a stinky device of this size is pretty great if you ask me.  

I don't disagree with your comparison re: progress. I simply find that, overall, the quality of the photos that people find acceptable is low. And my observation is that "wonderful images from a iPhone (etc)" tend to have poor quality.

I don't have a bad attitude, I have a very high bar. On the other hand, I'm learning to be more politic when asked what I think about an image.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432257 by Hassner
I can see myself doing street photography with a high end phone camera, but not things like sport.
So the versatility is a problem.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432274 by effron
Zorka, compare dslrs from five years ago and I'll proclaim they've come farther than camera phones. If you're just into selfies, enjoy. I'll take my full frame cameras and lenses....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432277 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Zorka wrote: Boy, someone had an extra serving of bad attitude pie this morning!  :rofl:    when you factor in where mobile iphoneography has come, to say it's "moved immeasurably low" is just incorrect.  

I don't disagree with your comparison re: progress. I simply find that, overall, the quality of the photos that people find acceptable is low. And my observation is that "wonderful images from a iPhone (etc)" tend to have poor quality.

I don't have a bad attitude, I have a very high bar. On the other hand, I'm learning to be more politic when asked what I think about an image.

:rofl: :agree:

Yeah I also hold a high bar as well. I would like to see you get a really large acceptable print from a phone camera. The only cameras that they will catch up to and pass, maybe are P&S cameras. I think it will be more like they will have a similar image quality.   

9 years 3 weeks ago #432341 by Don Fischer
I would suspect that they might blow out certain camera's. Point and shoot's, lower end point and shoot's I could see being blown out.

9 years 3 weeks ago #432390 by Stealthy Ninja
Like this maybe:
9 years 3 weeks ago #432453 by Kay Baker
Ninja - what is that phone doing on the hot shoe?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432496 by Screamin Scott
Sensor in the phone is just too small to be much good for any enlargements.... Maybe they look good on the small screen or a monitor, but printing one out will expose their shortcomings...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024