How are you focusing when you have your camera directly on the ground?

9 years 3 weeks ago #432359 by Moossmann
I'm trying this online assignment where you take photos from a different perspective.  And todays assignment is down low.  Setting the camera on the ground and looking through the view finder to focus is a bit tough.  Anyone know a trick to this?  

thanks!

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432361 by stuartsbarbie
If your camera has an LCD screen that can help.  I personally don't feel I get as much control using the screen, but sometimes we have to make due with what we have. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432364 by Robert Chen
I want to say it's hoodman that has a 90 degree elbow for your view finder.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #432399 by garyrhook
I will either (a) lie on the ground in whatever way I need to, or (b) use the articulated screen on my D5100 (despite the fact that some view that feature as unprofessional) with Live View to frame and focus. I really like the idea of the hoodman, too.

Whatever it takes. What's a little dirt?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432522 by Joves
On my belly, head turned sideways. I will keep doing that until I either cannot get back up easily, or my neck gets too stiff.

9 years 3 weeks ago #432525 by Screamin Scott
Right angle finder if need be...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #432704 by hghlndr6
You mean like this?  Just lie prone & get dirty.  It ain't difficult. ;)
That 90º finder is a good idea though.  Will have to check that out.

_DSC3994.jpg by hghlndr6 , on Flickr
9 years 3 weeks ago #432729 by Tim Entin
:agree:  +1 prone position on the ground with my head tilted to see through the viewfinder  

9 years 3 weeks ago #432849 by Tim Dordeck
Time to get down on the ground, and move your body into what ever position you need to in order to view.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432913 by Frost Photography
It's pricey, but these 90 degree elbows are a miracle when you don't want to lay down on the ground

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...&is=USA&Q=&A=details

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #432932 by garyrhook
WOW. "Pricey" is right. I'd rather get dirty.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #432990 by Joves
:rofl:  :agree:
Yeah pretty much. I can wash my clothes till they are shot over paying that for convenience. I should try making one myself. I have a bunch of optical flats, and prisms I could play with.

9 years 2 weeks ago #433014 by Shadowfixer1
I place my camera on a monopod, turn it upside down, and place the top of the camera on my foot down low and control it via WIFI on my iPhone. You can make all adjustments for exposure and then touch the screen where you want the focus to be and it will focus on that spot and take the picture. That won't work for most people because of the camera they have. The same goes for a high vantage point. Extend the monopod and hold it up in the air and control with the iPhone.
9 years 2 weeks ago #433019 by Baydream
I use the articulated viewfinder and LiveView. Getting too old to get down there. Well, it's actually the getting up that's hard. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024