Who's right when a clients payment doesn't go through?

9 years 4 weeks ago #432909 by Frost Photography
Reading the other thread about how long is the longest you had to wait for a client to pay reminded me of another very recent scenario I recently went through.  I didn't want to hijack the other persons thread so started a new one.  Admin, I hope that is okay.  

So on Monday I try to process a clients second scheduled payment for a combination engagement (I've shot already) and wedding (in April) job.  Mind you this was due in the contract on Friday, 2 weeks ago!  I have tried processing a couple times prior to this with no success.  The client is evading my calls too.  Finally I get ahold of them on Monday and let her know I'm having difficulty processing payment that was scheduled.  Which she knew, because I had sent emails prior (with no return from her).  When I shared with her that I would need a secondary payment on hand, that I want to make sure we don't have further billing delays.  She blows up at me and said: "I'm the client, you remember that". :blink:   Um, okay... now because her and her husband are not managing their finances correctly to cover their contracted expenses, I'm the bad guy?  Are you kidding me?  I wanted to rip her a new one and remind her that she is a client, just a delinquent one.  WOW.  But I bit my tongue.  This doesn't compute to me, why blame others, just take responsibility for your actions.  

Okay, am I over reacting here?  How would you feel?   

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432931 by garyrhook
"Yes, you are the client, and you hired me to provide photographic services. We have contractual obligations to one another, including timely payment. You are currently in breach of that contract, which means that I do nothing further until you rectify the situation. When can I expect you to provide payment?"

And go from there. You have documentation that they have reneged, so you're likely legally free from the requirements of the contract. I presume you have a clause that states that?

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #432934 by effron
I never had patience with dead beats. I'd inform her she's an EX client....right before the wedding....you will get cheated on anyway....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432956 by Kelly Lambert
Well if it wasn't for the misguided in society shows, like "American Idol" and "You Think You Can Dance" wouldn't be interesting.  It's the first number of episodes that are the most interesting each season, where you can see all these peeps who believe they are good at something (or correct), but really have a warped sense of perception.  They do make good TV though!  :rofl:

You are correct, just because they are a 'client' doesn't give them any right to be that way.   

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #432996 by Joves

effron wrote: I never had patience with dead beats. I'd inform her she's an EX client....right before the wedding....you will get cheated on anyway....:angry:

:rofl:
My thoughts exactly. I would just let it ride until 3, or 4 days prior to the wedding, and ask for the payment with a late fee, if you have that in your contracts. If she gets huffy with the I am the client line, then I would say you were the client, have a nice life.

You know I just had an after thought on this. Maybe the little Bridezilla has found somebody cheaper, and is planning on dumping you as well. I would call again, and then state that unless the payment is made that you cannot shoot the wedding. Then you can gauge by her reaction as to whether that is true. Also it could possibly give you time to book someone else. Then I would contemplate going to small claims if there is enough money due to justify that.

9 years 4 weeks ago #432999 by stuartsbarbie
My question is, does she have the pictures from the first shoot?  If so are they proof or finished product?  Even though she is the client it does not give her the right to not pay an agreed upon bill.  It also does not give her the right to talk to you like that.  

As long as she refuses to meet her obligation you have no obligation to shoot any more for her.  I would wait, like the others, for a few days before the wedding, if she give you any more grief, CANCEL HER A**:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #433004 by Colorado Mike
I can't take people like that seriously.  They have this perception that they are God because they have a title of 'client'.  I like Gary's answer though.  Good point, when bills aren't paid, fair game.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #433015 by Jeffster
RIGHTTTTTTTTT  what a idiot, who needs clients like that.  Ditch them to the curb

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #433041 by Happy-pixel
:agree:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #433121 by Happy Snapper
Dead beats are like a virus, get rid of them, it's not worth the hassle.  Honestly, I have a low tolerance for people who don't manage their finances.  My brother use to be that way, now in his industry, no one wants to work with his company because he was always late.  I know this tune far to well.  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #433421 by One Wish
Always make sure your contract has your butt covered.  Knock on wood there aren't to many clients like this that you need to deal with.  I agree with what has been mentioned already. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024