Fine art in B&W vs Color

8 years 11 months ago #433517 by Photo Mojo
Is there any preference when it comes to fine art photography in B&W vs Color? You would think B&W would be more versatile as it will match more interiors.  For obvious reasons, B&W goes back much further than color.  So it has some traditional roots.  

I'd be curious of gallery sales numbers and how do they compare.  Any chance anyone has such data? 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433537 by Hassner
Art is defined by the end result. As soon as you ask what sells better, it is not art, it becomes commercial.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433542 by garyrhook
:agree:

Yes, B&W goes back further than color for photography, but painting goes back even further.

It's all about vision, not the color palette.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433635 by Pierce Steenken
Personally I prefer B&W

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433650 by Don Fischer
I always figured if it's fine art, it must be B/W. 

8 years 11 months ago #433670 by Joves
 No Don that is not the case. If it is at the level that it is being called fine art, then whether it is color, or B&W is of no consequence at all. It is the quality of the image that counts, nothing more, nothing less.

8 years 11 months ago #433700 by Robert Chen
:agree:    plus preference.  But then again, is it me or is the younger generation more interested in color prints?   

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433747 by Don Fischer
Younger generation? My mother turn's 90 this month and she has always preferred color! Local rancher here, 71 yrs old and is also a B&W nay say'er! I think to get a great B&W photo is harder than a good color photo. Funny, in the art world of paint, you get the artist total impression of what he saw. I haven't seen a lot of art work but I don't recall ever seeing much in b&w. Some of my own photo's in B&W Are some of my favorite's. I got them by accident! As much as I like them, I don't see well, especially in B&W. So they have come about than's to digital. I usually change a photo to B&W just to see how it look's. I think the term "fine art" is greatly over used. Clyde Butcher doe's fine art, IMO he's as good as it get's! Look at his stuff and Ansel Adams stuff. Mostly it's landscape's of one thing or another. I have not seen a Butcher or Adams photo in color!

8 years 11 months ago #433959 by Shadowfixer1
Ansel did a ton of color work. Most people are only familiar with his B&W and have no idea how much he did in color.
8 years 11 months ago #433965 by KCook

I haven't seen a lot of art work but I don't recall ever seeing much in b&w. 

Fine art started off with coloring the walls of caves and ceramics.  These works were often of a single color, just not always black.  Then came wall murals, usually color, and canvas, also usually color.  B&W etchings and pen-and-ink did not pick up speed until the wide spread use of paper.  By that time color paintings were firmly established as the mainstream of fine art, etchings and pen-and-ink did not make much of a dent in the market.  But the art of etchings and pen-and-ink have been taught in art schools for centuries now, still is taught.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #434112 by J Photo Man

Hassner wrote: Art is defined by the end result. As soon as you ask what sells better, it is not art, it becomes commercial.

Good post

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: love4galaxies
8 years 11 months ago #434182 by Frisco
It's all a matter of preference.  Some places B&W will work best and others it's all about color.  I don't think any generation is stuck with one or the other IMO.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024