Will you wait to purchase a newly released camera model?

8 years 11 months ago #433687 by Randall McNabb
...To allow them to work out the bugs?  A few of the big brand camera makers I know have had some manufacturing whoop's lately with a couple of their cameras.  I'm wondering if many who are on the market are now waiting to purchase, to see if there are any bugs reported on the boards and to see if the company fixes. For example the D600 had all sorts of problems and wasn't dealt with for some time.  Those that bought that camera early on, who were facing the oil on sensor issue, were stuck between rock and tough place. 

As mentioned, just wondering if people have become reluctant to be the first in line to purchase because of examples like this? 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433713 by effron
I usually don't jump on a new release for financial reasons, and my gear isn't too often that outdated anyway. It has nothing to do with "bugs"....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433716 by garyrhook
Comments:

A) The D750 "flare" issue was a design flaw, not a manufacturing defect. Thankfully, Nikon learned from the D600 debacle and addressed the problem straight away.

2) Digital cameras are extremely complex. The fact that they work at all is kinda amazing.

C) If a release coincided with my need to make a purchase, I might upgrade if the newly announced product seemed a good fit. The idea that there is only one product that meets my needs seems a bit... far-fetched.

Thankfully, there are early adopters that have seemingly no concern for any of this, and I am willing to let them complete the beta test before I even think about buying.

How's that for a non-answer?

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433745 by Don Fischer
Money doe's a great job of keeping me in line. I got the D7000 because it got to a point I could afford first. The only real reason to upgrade from my D5000 was hoping for a better focus system. Someone mentioned the D7100 on sale for about $600. Two thing's, it was $100 more than I could afford and two, I doubt that it would do any better for me than the D7000.

8 years 11 months ago #433946 by Alan Nunez
I am impatient....I love new toys and I am an early adopter so I often buy first generation. I must say that in cameras I have had very little disappointments (expect for the D1 which in hindsight was a heap of junk for the price tag). The only thing is I only buy pro bodies which are generally pretty good.

8 years 11 months ago #433961 by Joves
For me it has always just been happenstance that I bought a new camera at about the second, or third run. I was not an early adopter of digital as far as the Dslrs went, I shot film until the D50 came out. But I did have a couple of P&S cameras for just playing around with. My first was the Sony Mavica, but those were not considered true digital since they recorded to a floppy.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024