Photography of national monuments to be made ILLEGAL

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #433695 by Stealthy Ninja
Apparently and according to the article:

A new US law, proposed by Democrat Ron Barber (Arizona) states that people will no longer be allowed to take photos of lit national monuments at night because the evening light displays are considered a copyrighted "art work."

"These lightshow should protected by copyright," Lauren N. Alfred, congressional staffer working for Ron Barber confirmed.

However, it was stressed that taking photos of national monuments is allowed when the lights are turned off, because at this time, it is considered as a public domain,  FOX News  reported.

The national parks service, the organization that manages most national monuments wrote on its official website, "Daytime views of national monuments are rights-free. However, its various illuminations are subjected to author's rights as well as brand rights. Usage of these images is subject to prior request from the national parks service."

The new law will also mean that people are not allowed to share night-time photos of the national monuments on various social media platforms.

If people are caught taking photos of national monuments at night, there is a possibility that they will be fined for it,  Gizmodo  noted.

Meanwhile, the US is not the only country with such bans,across Europe many sites are protected by copyright. In some countries, namely, Romania, Bulgaria and Slovenia, tourists are allowed to snap photos of select buildings but are not allowed to distribute them for sale.

However, in the UK, the Netherlands and Germany, tourists are allowed to take photos of any establishment and are also allowed to post and distribute them for commercial or any other purpose.

Article:  http://www.designntrend.com/articles/25836/20141117/new-law-bans-people-taking-photos-of-monuments-at-night.htm 

So what do you guys think? Personally I wonder how they can enforce such a thing, it's crazy.
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #433701 by KCook
Ron Barber is a jerk.

:whistle:  I did NOT post the line above.  My post was a different message.  Somebody changed my post without permission!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 weeks ago #433861 by Stealthy Ninja
Land of the free indeed.
9 years 3 weeks ago #433869 by effron
Land of the freedom to be a moron, actually. Most nations go through a revolution, a sort of house clearing. Russia, China, and we have our second one nearing, me thinks....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #433927 by ShutterPal
Was this a April fools joke?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #434115 by ThatNikonGuy
I'm voting:  April fools prank 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #434121 by garyrhook

ThatNikonGuy wrote: I'm voting:  April fools prank 

If you examine the URL, you'll see that this is from November 17, 2014. Not a joke. Just idiotic.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #434133 by Stanly
Perhaps so, however timing on the repost?  +1 April fools

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #434207 by Joves
The only April Fools are Barber, and the whole of the DC bunch.

And unlike Kelly. I did post the above statement. :rofl:
Also I tend to write the Congressthings quite often telling them that they need to live in reality. Especially when it comes down to spending, and writing stupid bills.
This is a lot like the whole thing with NYC when many people were being told they could not photograph bridges, and subway stations. Just look at how well that went. There is no Copyright violation on the lit buildings, and monuments. The only thing they can even restrict you on is sales of photos of those subjects, and only if you did not secure a commercial permit, as has been required under the law for a longtime now. Everything in DC is public domain sice it is owned by we the taxpayers.

9 years 2 weeks ago #434641 by Stealthy Ninja
To those who played along, I thank ye.

If you clicked the link you'd have seen:

Not my most successful April Fools joke on PT. That one goes to my first one where Ken R's press person got it pulled down under threat of suing if I remember rightly. LOL However, this one wasn't too bad.
9 years 2 weeks ago #434642 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Ron Barber is a jerk.

:whistle:  I did NOT post the line above.  My post was a different message.  Somebody changed my post without permission!

Kelly

Who'd do that? Terrible people.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024