Wedding client requesting a NDA signed by me?

8 years 11 months ago #433841 by Roman Omell
Have you ever been asked to sign a NDA relating to the wedding you are to photograph?   I have a wedding coordinator who won't disclose anything about her client, other than the date of the wedding and that they are "important" and "known".  My curiosity is peaked.  Kind of 007 feeling! Or Mission Impossible, should I choose to accept, this message will self destruct in 3, 2, 1...

Seriously though, have you been asked to sign a NDA? 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433844 by JeremyS
Eeeek, I'd be cautious, I've heard of a few scams with stuff like that. And as a general rule, I don't tend to say yes without knowing the terms

8 years 11 months ago #433871 by effron
I too would be cautious. I would simply walk away.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433881 by garyrhook
Most likely, an NDA would meant:
  1. If they are indeed famous, this would mean that you could not use the images for self-promotion, among other things.
  2. You could not tell anyone about the wedding. Probably both before and after the fact.
I would only sign an NDA after being hired for the job. The details of the event that are relevant to you should not require secrecy. The wedding planner sounds like an idiot.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433907 by Eric A
:agree: but then again, it might be a celebrity!   

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #433930 by Alan Nunez
I have been asked to sign NDA's but never for a wedding. NDA is not a big deal but read it carefully. You will probably not be able to use the images for self promotion.

8 years 11 months ago #433964 by Joves
I would not sign an NDA for anything. Unless they are paying much more than what I would charge. Also tell them that they need to sign your contract as well that would stipulate that your Watermark will be on all images, and that they cannot be removed at anytime, for any reason, and that you retain all Copyright. And I would want to see what is in the NDA, and consult with a lawyer before signing. But again unless the money was really good forget it.

8 years 11 months ago #433992 by Meskill
Can't say I would be excited about signing unless I had more facts of who and what I was shooting.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #434109 by Karen Comella
:agree:    +1  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #434236 by Robert Chen
I'd find out more who the client is before going signing anything.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #434291 by Moe
I don't see why all the fuss, it might be a fun gig.  I'd at least find out who it is after the NDA.  Would you still have option to no shoot the gig?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024