Wedding client requesting a NDA signed by me?

9 years 2 weeks ago #433841 by Roman Omell
Have you ever been asked to sign a NDA relating to the wedding you are to photograph?   I have a wedding coordinator who won't disclose anything about her client, other than the date of the wedding and that they are "important" and "known".  My curiosity is peaked.  Kind of 007 feeling! Or Mission Impossible, should I choose to accept, this message will self destruct in 3, 2, 1...

Seriously though, have you been asked to sign a NDA? 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #433844 by JeremyS
Eeeek, I'd be cautious, I've heard of a few scams with stuff like that. And as a general rule, I don't tend to say yes without knowing the terms

9 years 2 weeks ago #433871 by effron
I too would be cautious. I would simply walk away.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #433881 by garyrhook
Most likely, an NDA would meant:
  1. If they are indeed famous, this would mean that you could not use the images for self-promotion, among other things.
  2. You could not tell anyone about the wedding. Probably both before and after the fact.
I would only sign an NDA after being hired for the job. The details of the event that are relevant to you should not require secrecy. The wedding planner sounds like an idiot.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #433907 by Eric A
:agree: but then again, it might be a celebrity!   

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #433930 by Alan Nunez
I have been asked to sign NDA's but never for a wedding. NDA is not a big deal but read it carefully. You will probably not be able to use the images for self promotion.

9 years 2 weeks ago #433964 by Joves
I would not sign an NDA for anything. Unless they are paying much more than what I would charge. Also tell them that they need to sign your contract as well that would stipulate that your Watermark will be on all images, and that they cannot be removed at anytime, for any reason, and that you retain all Copyright. And I would want to see what is in the NDA, and consult with a lawyer before signing. But again unless the money was really good forget it.

9 years 2 weeks ago #433992 by Meskill
Can't say I would be excited about signing unless I had more facts of who and what I was shooting.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #434109 by Karen Comella
:agree:    +1  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago #434236 by Robert Chen
I'd find out more who the client is before going signing anything.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago #434291 by Moe
I don't see why all the fuss, it might be a fun gig.  I'd at least find out who it is after the NDA.  Would you still have option to no shoot the gig?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024