Photographers successful with partnering with wedding dress stores?

8 years 11 months ago #434784 by Brenda Dantzig
I'm trying to get more business.  Can you tell me if partnering with wedding dress stores has been a successful venture for you?  

Brenda

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #434811 by Stanly
It can work and it does for many.  What you need to keep in mind is how many wedding photographers have gone down this path before you and have deep roots secured in these wedding dress stores.  You might want to plan this out and ask yourself, what can you offer to the wedding dress store that perhaps no one else can.  Then when you have a carefully mapped out game plan, go approach the store. 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #434816 by Cathy Kadolph
I'm working with 2 and I get an 'okay' flow of leads from them.  To my understanding I'm one of 5 photographers that get these leads.  I've closed some as clients so I'm happy. 

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #434867 by Frost Photography

Stanly wrote: It can work and it does for many.  What you need to keep in mind is how many wedding photographers have gone down this path before you and have deep roots secured in these wedding dress stores.  You might want to plan this out and ask yourself, what can you offer to the wedding dress store that perhaps no one else can.  Then when you have a carefully mapped out game plan, go approach the store. 

Excellent advice

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436555 by Brenda Dantzig
I've been so far able to work out an arrangement with one, and working on more.  We will see what that translates too in a few months.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437055 by Frost Photography

Brenda Dantzig wrote: I've been so far able to work out an arrangement with one, and working on more.  We will see what that translates too in a few months.  

Keep at it, it will pay off.  I have 7 wedding dress companies I work with.  I get a good amount of business from these companies too!  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437161 by Rob Conley
Just remember, what makes you so different for the wedding dress company than all the other photographers selling the same idea.  

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438625 by Jorge Abril
Highly recommend you partner with as many related retailers as you can.  Once you get on their good side, REALLY get on their good side.  That will reward you over and over again with business. 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438692 by Brenda Dantzig
I don't know if I'm approaching these companies wrong.  I've only been able to get one on board.  When  you all are approaching these companies, how are you doing it?  What do you open with?

:thx:

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438824 by Marin Chi

Brenda Dantzig wrote: I don't know if I'm approaching these companies wrong.  I've only been able to get one on board.  When  you all are approaching these companies, how are you doing it?  What do you open with?

:thx:

Introduce yourself, give them your business card and ask if they are happy with the wedding photographers they are currently working with, and state that you would like to work with them and feel you can be of great value to them with reciprocating business.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440117 by Brenda Dantzig
I have a store that is asking for trade references.  Have you been asked for these ?  Seems like something that is a read flag for just this. 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #440153 by icepics
I don't know what it's like in your area but there seem to be an abundance of people with cameras out there trying to do weddings and portraits. I wouldn't be surprised if the shops are getting asked a lot by people wanting to partner up. The store may be reluctant to partner with someone they don't know; I suppose they want to see your work. I'd think it might hurt their business reputation if they recommend photographers to their clients that don't work out.

Try looking at the WPPI website for info on their trade shows, or PPA (Professional Photographers of America), or other photographers organization or trade associations for photography. (There's one that has come to my area and I'm blank on the name of it, if I think of it I'll try to come back and post it.) Or try http://asmp.org , I use their resources but their info. is somewhat more geared to media, and I'm not familiar with ones specific to weddings.
edit - ASMP does have webinars periodically on topics related to marketing (free, don't have to be a member, just sign up - called Business AsUnusual).

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440178 by Joves

Brenda Dantzig wrote: I have a store that is asking for trade references.  Have you been asked for these ?  Seems like something that is a read flag for just this. 

As Sharon pointed out in the first paragraph the store is worried about your work. When you go are you taking a portfolio book with you to show your work? Remember there are now a ton of CL pros out there who quite frankly suck, and the store is just being particular so as to not stain their reputation. They are the ones having red flag issues when someone want to work with them. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024