Crop or Full frame for shooting wildlife?

8 years 11 months ago #435010 by KENT MELTON
I need a new camera body and the search has started.  With regards to shooting primarily wildlife, are you preferring a full frame or crop sensor'ed camera? 

I forget where I read the article, but read that crop sensor'ed cameras are often preferred because of the added reach.  I would really like to get some additional thoughts on this.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #435014 by tganiats
Yes, a 100mm lens on your D60 will have the same "reach" as a 150mm lens on my D800.  Said another way, if put a 400mm lens on your camera, it will "look" like a 600mm lens.  So you get more reach with the same lens.   That said, the same happens at the wide angle, where you need to "get to" 10mm in order to be the same as my 18mm, but that is not the issue with most wildlife.   The other thing is the image size of the DX lens is smaller than the FX lenses, so the lens can be smaller and lighter (if you go with DX glass).  The better and fast lenses are more likely FX, however.

8 years 11 months ago #435019 by Screamin Scott
This Youtube video may answer some of your questions even though it's about using lenses...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #435026 by Joves
Personally when my D300 gives up the ghost I will be going FX. The reason being is that since Nikon increased its MP count you have a ton more room for cropping if needed. As where when Nikon first released theD300, D700, and D3 they all had the same pixel count, so the cropping on the FX images were not as goo Image Quality wise. The D300 having the crop factor had advantages. And yes the FX/DX cameras do have about the same pixel counts, but since the counts are higher, the resolutions are greater. And you now have a very printable image in larger sizes as well.
There is no extra reach. That is a marketing fallacy. The only thing that the difference in sensor size does is change the apparent Field of View with a crop. So you have essentially cropped your image once not increased the reach.

As this little example shows what is really happening.
So you have to look at do you shoot mostly wildlife, and want the extra cropping ability? Or do you shoot some wildlife, and more general shooting where the extra field will benefit you? I do shoot wildlife a fair amount, but now do not care about the extra cropping ability with the new sensors. Now you have to ask, and think about whether you do as well.

8 years 11 months ago #435039 by Baydream
Usually wildlife pros are using full frame with gigantic (expensive) lenses. The reason is to reduce noise in very low light , using very high ISO to get really fast shutter speeds. Just attended a presentation by  Ken Conger
at which he explained his reasoning. His site shows the gear he uses.

Since I don't have the big budget, I use a 70D with a 100-400L lens.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #435085 by garyrhook
:agree:

An APS-C sensor has high pixel density, but it also has more noise. Go full frame if you have the option, I think.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #435088 by tganiats
While I agree with Joves (and everyone else), you have to be careful.  I compared my wife's 24MP DX D7100 to my 36MP FX D800.  Yes, the extra crop factor of the DX vs the extra MP of the D800.  Actually, her D7100 beat the D800 (could zoom in a bit more after accounting for the crop factor and extra pixels).  However, it was really close.   Obviously, I have an FX, so that is why I would go there (and the extra dynamic range and ISO, etc, as mentioned).  But the question can get complicated.  For the a given lens, DX has more "zoom," but there are tradeoffs.

8 years 11 months ago #435130 by Ira Weber

Joves wrote: Personally when my D300 gives up the ghost I will be going FX. The reason being is that since Nikon increased its MP count you have a ton more room for cropping if needed. As where when Nikon first released theD300, D700, and D3 they all had the same pixel count, so the cropping on the FX images were not as goo Image Quality wise. The D300 having the crop factor had advantages. And yes the FX/DX cameras do have about the same pixel counts, but since the counts are higher, the resolutions are greater. And you now have a very printable image in larger sizes as well.
There is no extra reach. That is a marketing fallacy. The only thing that the difference in sensor size does is change the apparent Field of View with a crop. So you have essentially cropped your image once not increased the reach.

As this little example shows what is really happening.
So you have to look at do you shoot mostly wildlife, and want the extra cropping ability? Or do you shoot some wildlife, and more general shooting where the extra field will benefit you? I do shoot wildlife a fair amount, but now do not care about the extra cropping ability with the new sensors. Now you have to ask, and think about whether you do as well.

This is a very good post

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joves
8 years 11 months ago #435211 by Jessy Page
How many of you have a crop sensor camera AND a full frame one?

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #435221 by hghlndr6
I have both formats.  Both have the same mp so, as Gary said, the APS-C sensor's pixel density is greater and it does show more noise at higher ISO.  I have not found noise to be a significant problem though and do use the crop body pretty much exclusively for wildlife shoots.
8 years 11 months ago #435276 by Stanly
Depends, what sort of glass do you have? 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #435287 by effron
I have a couple of each.....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #435373 by KENT MELTON
Must be nice!  :beerbang:

How many of you shoot (photograph) wildlife often?

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #435472 by Joves
Not as often as I used to. But that is just because of where I am living now. There is not as much wildlife here as there was in northern Arizona that I want to shoot. But even if I was back home in Arizona I would be going over to FX for the reasons I stated above. The amount of cropping you can get away with now just make the FX format less appealing to me. I will even use my 3 DX lenses on an FX body. :evil:

8 years 11 months ago #435734 by Don Fischer
I think my nephew's 1DX is a crop frame camera. From what I see his camera doing on wildlife I can't see much advantage in going full frame. Of course if your just looking for an excuse to get a full frame, go for it. Most likely which is better is going to be determined by how good you are!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024