How often are you practicing your photography between photo shoots?

9 years 2 days ago #436040 by Marin Chi
The more I transition to full time, the less I find my self taking time to practice.  I guess it's more about getting time away from the camera.  I have come across people who are full time photographers, however have shared that they are not happy with where they are.  I have suggested, why not get out and find a new 'you' with your photography.  Which generally boils down with practicing till you find that 'you'.  Well that's my opinion.  

I'm realizing that I really need to make time to practice more regularly myself, so that I can keep my sword sharp.  I'm curious about other photographers best practices on getting out and taking time to explore new techniques, when you aren't getting paid.  How often are you doing this?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 days ago #436126 by Don Granger
2-3 times per week

Photo Comments
9 years 2 days ago #436129 by Ottis
2-3 times a week?  Must be nice!  I'm more like once a week if I'm lucky

Photo Comments
9 years 1 day ago #436132 by stuartsbarbie
I too am lucky to get out once a week.  But I must do so much more if I want to get any good at it.  I like the Boot Camp in the Premium Benefits section.  It makes you do something you might not have bothered to try before and help get you sharper.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 day ago #436168 by Tim Entin
No set schedule, I will squeeze in practice when I can.  Although I must say these days, it's not as often as I would like.  

9 years 1 day ago #436169 by garyrhook
Personal projects are key for this. The hard part is finding the time and motivation.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 day ago #436209 by Rob Conley

garyrhook wrote: Personal projects are key for this. The hard part is finding the time and motivation.

Motivation is a tough one for me too.  When you work so many hours, it's so easy to want to sit down and have a beer and RELAX.  Matter of fact, it's what I'm doing right now.

Photo Comments
9 years 17 hours ago #436239 by Robert Chen
Few times a week, during summer months some times more

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 6 hours ago #436276 by Tony Imaging
No set schedule for me.  Really depends on my work load.  For example this week, I have managed to get out twice.  The 3 weeks prior, I didn't get out at all.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436319 by effron
I am in the middle of my fourth straight 365 project. It actually has been a success at getting me pumped every day....kind of. Too bad I forget something for everything I learn now.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436380 by Sandy Smith Photos

effron wrote: I am in the middle of my fourth straight 365 project. It actually has been a success at getting me pumped every day....kind of. Too bad I forget something for everything I learn now.....:unsure:

You've done 4 years take a photo a day or are you doing multiple 365 projects at once?

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436511 by Stanly
 I managed to get in 4 hours of practice today.  What a time!

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436512 by Stealthy Ninja
Practice?
8 years 11 months ago #436526 by JeremyS
As a enthusiast, i practice by pushing my boundaries. Which includes a small amount of free client work. Which some people would hate me for it but how else am i going to get better at portraits without using people? So thats how I practice, most recently, I did a small garage band's photos that they'll use, editing them now :)

8 years 11 months ago #436533 by effron

Sandy Smith Photos wrote:

effron wrote: I am in the middle of my fourth straight 365 project. It actually has been a success at getting me pumped every day....kind of. Too bad I forget something for everything I learn now.....:unsure:

You've done 4 years take a photo a day or are you doing multiple 365 projects at once?

Four straight years a shot and processed image a day.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024