How do you justify buying a new camera?

8 years 11 months ago #436205 by Ian Stone
Just a curiosity, how are you justifying or rationalizing buying a new camera when you have one that might be old, however still works. 

My D700 is a number of years old, and still works great.  However I've been tossing around the idea of moving to the D750 or D810 and keep getting to the door, but failing to step through it.  Clearly I'm not ready yet.  How do you make that decision? 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436220 by Hassner
You need a second (back-up) body if someone asks you to do a photographic job.
Not serious, but professional. I only needed my back-up once in 9 (digital) years.

I think budget is the biggest draw-back from walking in and getting the latest.
My camera works hard and is handled rough. Therefore I do not mind buying second hand.
I bought a previous body with very little mileage at 40% of retail because of a minor scratch on the screen.
That was years ago and it is still going strong.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436222 by effron
You shouldn't need others to offer a reason for YOU to buy a new camera. I moved from a D700 to a D800 and I'm not a pro. I don't regret it a bit. If you're happy with the still great D700, save your money....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436226 by Dana Leeson
1. Budget
2. Functionality
3.  Desire

Basically, if I feel like it.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436229 by tganiats
I agree with Dana and effron. For me, I would buy one everytime time a new model appears because I "have to have it." Then I stop. Really? What will the new camera offer.  If you can appreciate the faster processor or the larger megapixels or the better dynamic range or the improved low-light performance, then the new camera may be worth it.  If the old camera is broken, why even ask.    We all have a budget constraint.  I would LOVE to get the D810 to replace my D800 (with high-pass filter), but I won't do it...not enough of a change.  But for others it might be worth it. 

8 years 11 months ago #436242 by Sawyer
If I want it and have the funds, I buy it. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436244 by Hassner
The only place that one need to "justify" a new camera, is with the wife.
I get the feeling you asked for some ammunition here. ;)

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436247 by effron

Hassner wrote: The only place that one need to "justify" a new camera, is with the wife.
I get the feeling you asked for some ammunition here. ;)

I agree with the "ammunition" statement, but if it was up to my wife, I'd still be shooting film, with my venerable and operational Nikkormat ftn.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436253 by MYoung
+1 with Dana

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436313 by Tony Imaging
When it's time and I have the funds, no justifying needed.  I buy it.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436316 by stuartsbarbie
I think personally I would spend my money on lenses if my camera was still working well.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436326 by Hoss
I'm with Tony on this one.  If I have the spare funds, and need, then I go for it. 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436327 by tganiats
I agree with Barbara.  It's a big "if" (as my comment stated above), but I like lens over camera choice most often.

8 years 11 months ago #436333 by Greg Friedman
For me, it's all about budget

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436479 by Chris Briggs
:agree:  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024