How do you justify buying a new camera?

8 years 11 months ago #436247 by effron

Hassner wrote: The only place that one need to "justify" a new camera, is with the wife.
I get the feeling you asked for some ammunition here. ;)

I agree with the "ammunition" statement, but if it was up to my wife, I'd still be shooting film, with my venerable and operational Nikkormat ftn.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436253 by MYoung
+1 with Dana

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436313 by Tony Imaging
When it's time and I have the funds, no justifying needed.  I buy it.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436316 by stuartsbarbie
I think personally I would spend my money on lenses if my camera was still working well.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436326 by Hoss
I'm with Tony on this one.  If I have the spare funds, and need, then I go for it. 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436327 by tganiats
I agree with Barbara.  It's a big "if" (as my comment stated above), but I like lens over camera choice most often.

8 years 11 months ago #436333 by Greg Friedman
For me, it's all about budget

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436479 by Chris Briggs
:agree:  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436547 by EOS Man
Does it have the new features that I want: 4k video!  Then I want it.  Then I get it.  :thumbsup:

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436571 by Tim Entin
Same with me!

8 years 11 months ago #436574 by cybersholt
I would just weigh the old vs the new, does it do x, x & x soo much better? Is the price high right now because the new just came out? etc.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436715 by JD Imagery
:agree:  pretty much sums that up 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436823 by Joves
Well I am in the same boat as you. While some of the new models look good, I really do not see a reason to pull the trigger on them. I actually am still happy with my D300, and will most likely use it until it gives up the ghost. Then it will be shelf art, and I will get a new camera. I had decided when I did get the D300 that I would get off of the equipment upgrading squirrel cage. Besides the next new models may have some real total improvements like a ultra wide dynamic range where it will expose even the worst scene beautifully. :drool:

8 years 10 months ago #441349 by Jorge Abril
If I have the spare cash, and I need it for something, then I'll just get it.  Usually it's just the need or shall I say "want" for something new.   I  won't lie, I have been the target of some good marketing in the past.   :whistle:

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441440 by Don Fischer
 Depends I think, on what you use the camera for. Full time pro? I read a book years ago that a pro wrote and he said every year he has his present  camera refurbished and sells it. Buy's himself a new one. If your a pro just getting by, it would have to be need and weather or not I could afford it. On the other hand if your not a pro and the cost doesn't really matter, no need to justify anything!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024