Sold my D80 today and have $4800 to spend on new camera.

9 years 9 hours ago #436832 by Hamtastic
I would love to say I made $4800 on the sale of my D80, but not the case.  I've been saving up for a bit.  All the same, I have the urge to find a replacement that is a nice upgrade from my D80.  I want something with great video features.   I'm thinking about the D810.  Seeing that I sold all my glass too, I'm even open to moving to Canon's new 5D EOS 5DS.  Only down side to buying that camera would be that I would only have about $800 left for a lens.  Which if I'm lucky will get me a 50mm and one other lens.  

What would you do here?  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 hours ago #436842 by Allen D
If it were me, I would stick with what I was comfortable with and go with the Nikon D810 and a new 70-200mm lens (used)

Photo Comments
9 years 6 hours ago #436846 by garyrhook
Any of the newer full frame cameras is going to do a fine job with video. The pixel count on the D810 matters not a whit for that. Unless you really think you need 36MP and have the technique and the glass to take advantage of it (oh, wait, you don't) you might be better off considering the D610 or D750.

Both of which will be considerably superior to your D80.

Then: 50mm? Really? That's it? How dull. Disclosure. I really don't like 50mm lenses.

You don't indicate what you like to shoot, but I think you be better off moderating body lust with a good lens choice.

But that's just me.

Happy shopping.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 hours ago #436847 by Ian Stone
You could always go for the Panasonic GH4, that has awesome video IMO

Photo Comments
9 years 16 minutes ago #436869 by effron
Grab a D750 and get busy. That's a lot of camera for the buck....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436877 by ThatNikonGuy

effron wrote: Grab a D750 and get busy. That's a lot of camera for the buck....;)

:agree: you nailed the same option I was thinking

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436960 by Colorado Mike
Get a Leica

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436972 by Chris Briggs
Leica is over priced IMO, stick with the Nikon D810 or D750

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #436979 by Stealthy Ninja
You guys are asking the wrong questions. :P

What gear, especially LENSES do you have now?

What sort of things do you like to shoot most? (or would like to shoot in the future)

You said you wanted video.  But what else?

It might be better going cheaper and buying better glass. You might actually be better off with a Sony A7s for the 4k video, full frame shooting, lightweight body etc.

If you have some nice Nikon glass, it might be worth going for a Nikon.

If you have nothing, Canon might be great as their video is better IMHO than Nikon and the stills are similar to Nikon (a little different, but I won't get into that right now).
8 years 11 months ago #437035 by Tony Imaging
Ninja does make some good points with the exception of what lenses does he have. I think he mentioned he sold all his glass.  ;)

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437046 by garyrhook
And for what it's worth, my local camera store just announced a sale on the D750 body for $1999. I wish I was ready to make a purchase.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437132 by Janos

effron wrote: Grab a D750 and get busy. That's a lot of camera for the buck....;)

I was going to say the same.  Good choice.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437214 by Alan Nunez
I would be on a plane to Vegas!!!!!!!

Ha, Just kidding. Personally I think you need to assess what you are going to be shooting. I like to get as close to the top pro body if I can even if I need to buy a good second had body and then invest in the best lenses that suit the work you do as they will be with you for a very long time.

8 years 11 months ago #437364 by Adam G
Vegas :rofl:  I'd go with that D750

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437395 by J Photo Man
Have you thought about the Sony A7R?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024