Wedding booking conflict

8 years 11 months ago #436903 by Joslyn
I was booked for a wedding in November 3 days ago by a couple who nickle and dime'd me on my least priced wedding package.  I just got a call literally 20 minutes ago from another new client for the same day in November!  They want my priciest package, plus she is indicating canvas prints and 8 photo albums.  So there is much more profit to be made with this wedding.  I'm really on the moral fence here and could use some advice.  What would you do here?  

Let me add that the first couple has NOT sent me the deposit yet, and the last one has said "pricing looks good, send me over the contract and I'll send you deposit right way."

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436906 by effron
Dump the first cheap skates and get with the program. The sooner the better....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436911 by Joslyn
I was leaning towards that, thank you for confirmation.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #436967 by garyrhook
The date is not booked until the retainer is received. Simple rule. They can keep talking about it until the day before the wedding, and there where will you be? Take the first paying client that meets your expectations.

When the first pair comes back to you, say, oh, sorry, that date is no longer available. And nothing further. You do not owe them an explanation, or a 2nd chance, or a warning, or heaven forfend, an apology. This is business.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436983 by Lisa Brookhurst
OMG I would take the higher paying job, if the deposit hasn't been received... it's not a done deal in my book!

8 years 11 months ago #436993 by icepics
It seems like it would depend on how you left it with the first couple - is their expectation that they've booked you and they just need to send the deposit? I wonder if they think that you already committed to it.

Sounds like you may need to rethink your pricing. What if the deposit was already paid and then you got another prospective client wanting the same date and a higher priced package? If that keeps happening seems like you might end up shooting a lot of lower priced weddings.

You might need to think too about how you're handling situations when people are shopping around, wanting you to drop your prices, etc. so you're clear on your pricing and packages and that they'll need to choose from those options. If they don't want to pay your prices then it might be better to not book them and for them to find another photographer in their price range.

If you're going into photography as a business and haven't already, you might need to develop a business plan and look at pro resources thru ASMP or PPA or the Small Business Administration.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437063 by Joslyn
Done and done! Surprisingly the cheap couple didn't complain.  They almost seemed like they forgot they had booked with me.  Such a good call, thank you all for the advise. 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437121 by Rudy Sosa

effron wrote: Dump the first cheap skates and get with the program. The sooner the better....

+1

100% Agree!!

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437135 by KenMan
Good decision, I would have done the same.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437212 by Alan Nunez

Joslyn wrote: Done and done! Surprisingly the cheap couple didn't complain.  They almost seemed like they forgot they had booked with me.  Such a good call, thank you all for the advise. 

Well done. Just make sure that the higher paying client pays their deposit to ensure you have at least one of them securely booked in!!

8 years 11 months ago #437225 by ThatNikonGuy
Well said, agree! 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437231 by Remy Hedrick
I would have taken the 2nd deal without any thought

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437237 by Joslyn
They stopped by yesterday and gave contract and deposit.   So all set! 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437376 by Pettigrew
Great!  Job well done

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437396 by J Photo Man
I would have done the absolute same thing.  The haggling folks would have been a nightmare in the long run.  If they are cutting corners already, you can expect that behavior to follow till the end.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024