First paid photography gig coming up and questioning myself "am I ready"?

8 years 11 months ago #437727 by KCook
Use any spare time before the gig to brush up on flash, posing, and/or RAW.  Wutever skill you are a little rusty on.  Then embrace the opportunity with gusto.

nohelpKelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #437743 by Kris W
So helpful, thank you again!  I have been working on my people post processing skills like a mad man during the last few weeks already! 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437793 by KCook
Posing victims is where I am really, REALLY weak!

ohwell

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #437798 by icepics
Have you done any events before? For me, I was nervous-excited but had no doubts I could do it.

I get the impression you're new to this; if you're an experienced sports/events photographer you may not need to read the rest of my post! But in case it might be of some help... these are my suggestions.

Go early. Know or find out when and where things will happen. Figure out where some good vantage points will be. If you'll be doing some posed pictures figure out where would be a good place if that's an option; if you need to get a speaker or presentation you may need to get pictures wherever they will be set up so be aware of your vantage point and background and framing. If there's signage make sure letters/words aren't cut off (they'll probably want to see their company's name and it needs to be readable and look good). Make sure you have people's feet in the pictures if you're doing full body shots; or more close up getting upper body framing from just above or below the waists works for me.

I wouldn't expect to have to do much post processing; having done sports and events I learned to get what I needed mostly in camera since the expectation could be that the photos may be needed right away. Go early and do test shots as needed at the venue to make sure you're all set; I find things can happen quickly and you need to capture things as they happen.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437800 by Alan Nunez
I am sure you will be fine....Make sure you have plenty of batteries and cards!!!

If you are really worried see if you can ask a photographer friend to tag alone and back you up. Be honest and say you are nervous...we have all had to deal with our first shoot and I still get butterflies if I am shooting a big event solo!

8 years 11 months ago #437803 by Karen Comella
I keep hearing in my head 'The Waterboy' saying "YOU CAN DO IT!"

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437815 by JeremyS
Situations like this make me happy that I've gotten under my belt a year of event work with low pressure.. We'll 15K$ betting on me doing good work but relatively no pressure. I'd just think of everything you've done to deserve it, and run theough your head all pf the little things that you need to be conciously aware of while you shoot.

8 years 11 months ago #437828 by CanonKid

KCook wrote: Posing victims is where I am really, REALLY weak!

ohwell

That's what family and friends are for

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437889 by Ryan Obryan
I remember my first job, for me it was the same feeling.  That quickly went away when I got on the job.  It ended turning out to be a ton of fun and the client was happy.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437941 by Roman Omell
I have a friend who use to take a shot of Wild Turkey before starting a job.  He never skipped a beat! 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #438127 by Silver Fox
Looks like today is game day for you, good luck! Keep us posted on how the job turned out for you.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #438312 by The Gardener

Ryan Obryan wrote: I remember my first job, for me it was the same feeling.  That quickly went away when I got on the job.  It ended turning out to be a ton of fun and the client was happy.

Isn't that the truth, you get so tied up in the moment, there is no time to worry about anything else. 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #438377 by Miss Polly
Do a free job first, that will soften the tension 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #438403 by Stealthy Ninja

Miss Polly wrote: Do a free job first, that will soften the tension 

Then when will be the first  paid job?  It's got to come some time ;)
8 years 11 months ago #438470 by Kris W
Job went well, thank you all for the support! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024