Keeping an old outdated camera as backup. Keep to use?

8 years 10 months ago #438781 by Rob Conley
So last month I bought a new camera 5D Mark III, to replace my Mark II.  I had upgraded my Mark II from the original 5D.  I originally kept the first 5D thinking I would want to keep it in case I need to use it.  As I'm sitting with 3 camera bodies now, I'm realizing that there's a really good chance I will most likely not use my 5D or my 5D Mark II again.  At least that is what happened when I upgraded to the 5D Mark II in the past.  Mainly because, why use outdated tech when you have something that is better?  There is no reason to do so. 

Do you agree? 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438784 by Hassner
It depends on the type of job you do. 

I did a wedding about seven years ago when my camera gave problems.
There was no time to fiddle. I immediately went on to my back-up.
When I had time to fiddle, I got it going again, but I will never be without a backup.
Old tech? I will do a whole wedding with an old 5D today.
If I were you I'll sell the 5DII and buy another lens with the money.
Why carry around a camera still worth good money as backup if you might only use it once in the next 5 years?
By then it lost another few $100's value.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438786 by Don Fischer
When I got my D5000, I kept my D70 as a backup. Then got my D7000 and gave the D70 to a niece. I prefer the D70 to the D5000 but it just didn't have the resolution I needed for what I do.

8 years 10 months ago #438792 by Jim Photo
My wife uses my old camera :)

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438816 by effron
I set my older cameras on display and they are quite an attention getter. I find selling them just isn't worth the time for the little money they usually bring. I have only sold a couple in the past and regretted it every time. You have to decide these things for yourself, of course....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438822 by Screamin Scott
Still have all of  my older DSLR's & use all but the oldest . That one's relegated to my car just so I always have a camera with me... Plus it is a CCD not a CMOS  sensor & takes better IR images with the R72 IR pass filter.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438855 by Wyrick Photography
I did have an old one and yes it never got used, so I gave to brother to have

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438897 by Jessy Page
 Nice collection of gear, well it's nice to have a spare.  You just never know. 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438922 by Prago

Hassner wrote: It depends on the type of job you do. 

I did a wedding about seven years ago when my camera gave problems.
There was no time to fiddle. I immediately went on to my back-up.
When I had time to fiddle, I got it going again, but I will never be without a backup.
Old tech? I will do a whole wedding with an old 5D today.
If I were you I'll sell the 5DII and buy another lens with the money.
Why carry around a camera still worth good money as backup if you might only use it once in the next 5 years?
By then it lost another few $100's value.

:agree:  There are people shooting weddings with Polaroids.  Not about the camera, it's the photographer (as I'm sure you know). 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438948 by Ontherocks
Eh, not really.  All I need is one main body and mirrorless for backup would be nice.  

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #438954 by Joves
I would keep one as an abuse camera along with some cheap glass. Then you have a kit that if it gets damaged you have nothing to be upset over. Call it your riskier shots camera. 

8 years 10 months ago #439192 by Don Granger

Joves wrote: I would keep one as an abuse camera along with some cheap glass. Then you have a kit that if it gets damaged you have nothing to be upset over. Call it your riskier shots camera. 

+1

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #439285 by John Landolfi
On the second day of a recent two week trip to France, I took a flying header in a church in Normandy, while fully encumbered with a D3s with 14-24mm f2.8 mounted to a monopod, which ensured I could not avoid crashing. What immediately came to mind was that my trip wouldn't be ruined, as I watched pieces of the lens hood of the 14-24 skitter along the old stones, because I lugged the D7100 as backup. I got the 7100 when my wife expressed an interest in my D200, which had been my backup until then. So, yes, I think keeping an old camera for emergencies makes sense, and Ernesto has the right idea as to which to keep.:)

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #439383 by Glen Martin

John Landolfi wrote: On the second day of a recent two week trip to France, I took a flying header in a church in Normandy, while fully encumbered with a D3s with 14-24mm f2.8 mounted to a monopod, which ensured I could not avoid crashing. What immediately came to mind was that my trip wouldn't be ruined, as I watched pieces of the lens hood of the 14-24 skitter along the old stones, because I lugged the D7100 as backup. I got the 7100 when my wife expressed an interest in my D200, which had been my backup until then. So, yes, I think keeping an old camera for emergencies makes sense, and Ernesto has the right idea as to which to keep.:)

One of my favorite cities to photograph!

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #439455 by John Landolfi

Glen Martin wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: On the second day of a recent two week trip to France, I took a flying header in a church in Normandy, while fully encumbered with a D3s with 14-24mm f2.8 mounted to a monopod, which ensured I could not avoid crashing. What immediately came to mind was that my trip wouldn't be ruined, as I watched pieces of the lens hood of the 14-24 skitter along the old stones, because I lugged the D7100 as backup. I got the 7100 when my wife expressed an interest in my D200, which had been my backup until then. So, yes, I think keeping an old camera for emergencies makes sense, and Ernesto has the right idea as to which to keep.:)

One of my favorite cities to photograph!

This happened in Coutances, in the 11th Century Church of St Pierre. which preceded Notre Dame of Paris.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024