Full frame Apple iPhone camera?

8 years 11 months ago #439405 by Tim Chiang
I was reading on blog that Apple was coming out with a full frame iPhone camera?  I don't see how this is even possible.  Can someone explain how do they plan to do this?

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439425 by Baydream
Sounds a bit odd given the size of the iPhone and the high cost of full-frame sensors. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439444 by Joves
:rofl:
Sounds like somebody has been spending too much time at the Colorado potshops to me. Just thinking about the size of it, and then putting on fixed lens would make it plain stupid easy to ruin. Maybe when they say FF, they are meaning for the iClone, or in the iClone world. Which could mean a 4/3s sized sensor. The people at Crapple have their own little Mac speak which has nothing to do with the real world.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JeremyS
8 years 11 months ago #439469 by Tim Chiang

Baydream wrote: Sounds a bit odd given the size of the iPhone and the high cost of full-frame sensors. 

That's what I was thinking!  Well the size factor at least.  I didn't even think about the cost. 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439471 by Tim Chiang

Joves wrote: :rofl:
Sounds like somebody has been spending too much time at the Colorado potshops to me. Just thinking about the size of it, and then putting on fixed lens would make it plain stupid easy to ruin. Maybe when they say FF, they are meaning for the iClone, or in the iClone world. Which could mean a 4/3s sized sensor. The people at Crapple have their own little Mac speak which has nothing to do with the real world.

:rofl:

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439476 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends on how apple markets it. Before you know it people will think Apple invented cameras (I mean the apple smart watch was the first one in the world right?!) :P
8 years 11 months ago #439482 by garyrhook
I did see an article go by recently discussing Apple's attitude that 8MP was enough, and there were other techniques for getting more resolution. My guess is they have some sort of scheme to provide full-frame equivalence.

As if mobile phones are anywhere near the quality of a decently sized sensor. Meh.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439490 by Jacko
:blink:   I don't  know about this, I don't see it any time soon

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439560 by JaneK
Well if they did have, I would be all over that! 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439785 by Ian Stone
 Good one! :rofl:

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #439790 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote: ...other techniques for getting more resolution...

Photoshop.

garyrhook wrote: My guess is they have some sort of scheme to provide full-frame equivalence.

Marketing and bribing the dictionary companies. 
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #439791 by Stealthy Ninja
The reality is, if they wanted a true "full frame" (36x24mm) sensor put on the back of the camera, they'd need a lens big enough to cover that size. That would look quite strange on the back of an iphone.

So it'll be some tricky marketing if it happens at all.

Here's a pic I made showing the equivalent sizes and how big the lens would have to be.  Don't forget you need depth too, it wouldn't be very flat.

So while POSSIBLE, it's not very likely. Remember that "lens size" is the size of the opening, the lens could (in theory) lay pretty flat I suppose... but it would still need some depth and being that size would be weird
8 years 11 months ago #439837 by Luca
OMG, can you image what that would do to traditional camera sales?  Yikes!

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #440067 by ThatNikonGuy
Well, we will need to see about this coming out first.  You will never see complete market saturation IMO

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024