Published

8 years 10 months ago #440233 by DacrimL
So a questions but first a short intro as to the how and why.

Some 3 -4 months ago I talked my way onto an airport where there was gliding taking place for picture purposes. I explained that I was an amateur photographer looking to expand my horizons. They welcomed me with open arms and have since invited me to come back at any time. 

Anyway whilst there one of the lady pilots posed for a few candid shots in return for an image or 2, which I willing supplied as well as some to the club. All involved were more than happy with the photos, so much so the young lady emailed me the other day to request permission for her photo to be allowed to be used in a statewide publication with the possibility of going country wide. I agreed to this with, the request that all credit was to go to me the photographer.

Q1......Is this a wrong way to go about getting pictures or getting known without cost?

8 years 10 months ago #440251 by No Show
Not at all, as long as you are getting recognition in the publication

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440257 by garyrhook
petapixel.com/2015/05/02/exposure-now-le...r-for-photographers/

I would have asked what the publication was paying for use of the image.  Just for fun.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440371 by Sandy Smith Photos
If it's a crappy site that no one but the owners will visit, no.  Big site, then yes

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440388 by Conner
+1

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440513 by DacrimL
To the best of my knowledge it is a pilots newsletter or something, most likely one of those nerdy things they put behind the seats in planes for reading. Not that it matters to me........I guess the more it gets out there the better the exposure

Thanks for the replies.

P.S - Gary........wonder if I can ask for a weeks supply of fuel :whistle:

8 years 10 months ago #440862 by icepics
You requested that photo credits be given but it probably would have been better to have it in writing.

It seems like providing some photos in exchange for them allowing you to take photos on their property could be appropriate, but you'd probably need to think about how many photos you'd be providing and how they'd be used.

If the airport is local and home to an aviation club or a nonprofit then providing photos could be considered a donation for use in their newsletter. If the airport is commercial and in business then usage of photos would be licensed and the photographer would be paid and there would be a contract specifying the amount of time and purpose (such as in one issue of their magazine).

Getting 'exposure' seems too vague to know if that will be of any benefit to your photography.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DacrimL
8 years 10 months ago #440898 by DacrimL
Thanks icepics,

Yes it is a commercial airport all be it a small country one and yes it is home to an aviation club or 2. It is also large enough for the 2016 Australian championship and the 2017 world championships to be held there and I have been asked to come back and shoot during this time. 

At this point in time I am only looking to get my name out there with the images and the people decide if they would wish to hire me. However for the championships they are going to pay a small fee (yet to be negotiated) for my services. During all my time on this earth I have found the only true form of advertising is the by word of mouth.......and one has to start somewhere.

Thank you all for the feed back I will endeavor to keep apprised of the situation as it develops.

8 years 10 months ago #440929 by garyrhook

DacrimL wrote: P.S - Gary........wonder if I can ask for a weeks supply of fuel :whistle:

Or maybe a plane ride for some aerial photography?

Regarding the later posts, good for you.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440980 by icepics
Your name out there where? That's too vague, you'll need to think about starting to develop a marketing and business plan as to how you're going to move forward from this opportunity.

Underpricing or doing photography for nothing or a small fee is not too likely to lead to appropriate pay for your work or worthwhile opportunities in the future. You should be pricing within range of what photographers charge in your area, starting out maybe on the lower end of the price range but not too low. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441002 by Stealthy Ninja
Honestly... I doubt this will lead to much. How often have you seen a photo in a magazine and said 'oh I must look up this photographer and see how much his work is?!" for me... never.

You should perhaps ask if you can put a small ad into the publication if they're not going to pay for the photo. If you give them some way to contact you, it COULD lead to something, otherwise you'll get your name at the bottom of the page and little else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
8 years 10 months ago #441009 by DacrimL

garyrhook wrote:
Or maybe a plane ride for some aerial photography?

Regarding the later posts, good for you.

Thank you gary......oh and a plane ride is scheduled for later this year in the spring :)

Icepics......have already organised a meeting with marketing manager to assist in getting a business plan started.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024