Pricing digital files vs physical prints

8 years 9 months ago #441447 by Ben Vanderbilt
Do you price a physical print differently than the same exact image in digital form?  As I see it, if someone buys the digital version, they can go out there and just print the image themselves for fraction of what you would have charged them.  So is there any sense in discounting a digital?  

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441540 by Kayce
I see your point, but prints will always sell for higher $$

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441564 by No Show
You the owner has the right to set what ever price you feel is best for any of your photos. 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441596 by garyrhook

Ben Vanderbilt wrote: Do you price a physical print differently than the same exact image in digital form?  As I see it, if someone buys the digital version, they can go out there and just print the image themselves for fraction of what you would have charged them.  So is there any sense in discounting a digital?  

No.

If you want to sell digitals, then you charge for them. If you want to sell prints, you charge for them and do not make the digitals available. Option 3 is to only make the digital file available after a print has been purchased.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441690 by DacrimL
Why sell the digital image to start with?

Seems to me once the digital image is sold so have your rights as the owner of the image (correct me if I'm wrong) and the new owner would a free for all on the image. 

8 years 9 months ago #441834 by Kenta

garyrhook wrote:

Ben Vanderbilt wrote: Do you price a physical print differently than the same exact image in digital form?  As I see it, if someone buys the digital version, they can go out there and just print the image themselves for fraction of what you would have charged them.  So is there any sense in discounting a digital?  

No.

If you want to sell digitals, then you charge for them. If you want to sell prints, you charge for them and do not make the digitals available. Option 3 is to only make the digital file available after a print has been purchased.

So you are selling either or?  

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441913 by garyrhook

Kenta wrote: So you are selling either or?  

I have a pretty simple system that starts with one large print and a handful of digital files. I offer additional prints because I do not guarantee prints from anyone else, even with my files. I will sell additional files, too. I am a bargain, price wise. I intend to move towards more prints because digital files get stuck in a drawer. The images belong on the wall.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442344 by Glen Martin
" am a bargain, price wise" is this intentionally part of your strategy?  The one area I always have a tough time with is pricing.  

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442432 by icepics

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442433 by garyrhook

Glen Martin wrote: " am a bargain, price wise" is this intentionally part of your strategy?  The one area I always have a tough time with is pricing.  

No, not at all. I just think I'm a bargain when I compare my skills and results to others.

Pricing is difficult. Very difficult.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442562 by Ben Vanderbilt

icepics wrote: Get professional advice. Try http://asmp.org or PPA, they offer resources for pro photographers.

http://asmp.org/links/32#.VXJSLDhFBLM

http://asmp.org/tutorials/steps-determine-licensing-fees.html#.VXJSFzhFBLM

Thank you, I'll be checking this out

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442646 by Alan Nunez

I think either way you should price based on the value of the work you provide. Worry less about print v's digital and more around what the images are worth to you client in either format.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024