how much to charge per mile?

13 years 1 month ago #30100 by Pekkea 05
What is the going rate to charge your client for travel? how much per mile?

13 years 1 month ago #30101 by Ali Stair
.50 cents a mile IMO sounds pretty good.

13 years 1 month ago #30102 by West Coast

Ali Stair wrote: .50 cents a mile IMO sounds pretty good.

I do believe that is the IRS's rate when filing for your business. $.50/mile

13 years 1 month ago #30103 by Pekkea 05

West Coast wrote:

I agree 50 cents does sound pretty good. I didn't know IRS has a say in it. lol

13 years 1 month ago #30104 by West Coast

Pekkea 05 wrote:

West Coast wrote:

IRS has a say in everything. :watching:

13 years 1 month ago #30105 by Pekkea 05

West Coast wrote:

Pekkea 05 wrote:

West Coast wrote:

IRS has a say in everything. :watching:

I suppose you are right.

13 years 1 month ago #30108 by arkady001
Work out how much it actually costs you in fuel, then treble it to account for tax and wear and tear/servicing costs on your vehicle.
Also your time should be billable, so travelling time should be taken into account.
Time spent travelling to one job is time you're not spending on another job elsewhere.

13 years 1 month ago #30111 by Screamin Scott
That's because you are supposed to report your earnings as taxable income & can then deduct mileage & other expenses as a business write off...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #30270 by Pekkea 05

arkady001 wrote: Work out how much it actually costs you in fuel, then treble it to account for tax and wear and tear/servicing costs on your vehicle.
Also your time should be billable, so travelling time should be taken into account.
Time spent travelling to one job is time you're not spending on another job elsewhere.

So in theory if $40 fills my tank and I use up half, I should charge $20 for travel?

13 years 1 month ago #30371 by Cal8567
Charge as much as you feel is worth the travel time.

13 years 1 month ago #30393 by Joves

Pekkea 05 wrote:

arkady001 wrote: Work out how much it actually costs you in fuel, then treble it to account for tax and wear and tear/servicing costs on your vehicle.

So in theory if $40 fills my tank and I use up half, I should charge $20 for travel?

Well you could do that or take the averages of the milage you car gets and then the price of fuel. In that case I would pad it now to accodate for price changes. Or you can do a percentage charge for the session. In the industry I work in there is a fuel charge of 7% now because of the increase in fuel.

13 years 1 month ago #30411 by arkady001

Pekkea 05 wrote: So in theory if $40 fills my tank and I use up half, I should charge $20 for travel?

No - you should charge $60 - fuel + time + depreciation/wear & tear on the vehicle + vehicle tax and insurance ...

Most insurance companies have different tariffs for business use.
In the EU, standard cover (fully comprehensive as we call it - covers third-party damage, fire, theft, accidental damage, windscreen damage, etc, regardless of who was at fault in an accident) only covers you for commuting to your place of work once a day.
So if i drive to my studio (place of work) then to a client's location for the purpose of conducting business, my vehicle insurance is technically no longer valid.
I have seperate business travel insurance on my company car for that purpose. It's a lot more expensive, believe me.

And you'd better believe I pass that on to the client.

13 years 1 month ago #30495 by Stealthy Ninja

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024