How do I get the IR on my digital camera?

12 years 9 months ago #86353 by mj~shutterbugg
I am interested in trying some IR shots, but how do I do that? I looked through my camera manual (Canon 5DMii)- nothing. Looked through photoshop briefly and no luck. So I ask you all how do I do that?

I saw on my Monochrome mode I can add a red filter- is it that simple?

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #86359 by MLKstudios
You can fake IR in Photoshop, but it isn't real IR. Most digital cameras have an IR filter covering the "chip". So, you must either get the camera "modified" or buy one without the IR filter. I have an old Olympus P&S that can "see" IR wavelengths.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #86371 by photobod
Its best if you have a spare camera that you can get modified for the best results, a filter will give you an effect but not brilliant, yes as Matthew says you can fake it in photoshop but again the results aint brilliant, have a word with Robbie on here as it is his specialty.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #86389 by Screamin Scott
Since I shoot Nikon, I can't speak for Canon models, but older DSLR's like my Nikon D70s have weak anti-aliasing filters over the sensor & can capture IR light simply by using IR Pass filters on the lens. I use an HOYA R 72 filter on my camera & ,other than composition, it can AF & properly expose IR images with hand holdable shutter speed times. Newer cameras with more up to date filters over the sensors require longer exposure times in order to capture IR images. All images captured require Post Processing in order to achieve the results you see posted...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #86457 by robbie
Your manual won`t say any thing about Ir but here is a link for you....
www.ayton.id.au/wp02/?tag=canon-5d-mii

12 years 9 months ago #86473 by MLKstudios
Good link Robbie.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #86479 by mj~shutterbugg
Great link but now I feel like all hope is lost. How do I do IR in photoshop? I am not able to spend the 73 bucks on a hoya filter for something to try and see if I like it.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #86483 by Shadowfixer1
Try this. I've never used it but others have.

Flatten any layers
Duplicate background layer.
With this active.
Goto filter > blur > gaussian blur.
Value between 25-35, click ok.
Set blend mode to Lighten.
Do a curves adjustment layer
click on the centre point, pull upward and to the left, to about Input:90 Output:150
(type them in if you want)
click ok. Set blend mode to screen. Set opacity to suit.(try also Overlay,soft light if thats too much)
Do a new empty layer to top of stack.
goto edit > fill > 50% gray. Mode:Normal opacity:100%. Click ok. Set blend mode to soft light.
To add noise.goto filter > noise > add noise
select 10, gaussian,monchrome
click ok.
Do a new hue/sat adjustment layer above this.
Move sat slider fully to left and then bring back to add some colour, to suit. Also adjust individual colours to suit your image if necessary.
12 years 9 months ago #86487 by Shadowfixer1
Look around this site and you should find something that works.

www.atncentral.com/
12 years 9 months ago #86499 by robbie
irphotocom.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=processing
That`s from the Ir forum that i`m with,you will find all the info you will need for various work flow.Since you are a photoshop whiz it should be a piece of cake.
Here are some unprocessed Ir images...
www.pbase.com/ir_robbie/d200d70_ir
Hope this helps...
More great links....
irphotocom.proboards.com/index.cgi?board...n=display&thread=457
Feel free to post the processed images here.

12 years 9 months ago #86501 by robbie
Re: Difference between a digital IR camera and film IR camera? 1 month, 2 weeks ago #47922 robbie

NOW ONLINEPlatinum Boarder

One important aspect not mentioned so far is the 'custom WB' which is set on green vegetation
with the filter on,in Photoshop your image will be red but in some raw converter and using the 'eye dropper' you can select the custom WB by clicking anywhere in the image and the red will disappear.My 665nm D200 cannot set a 'custom WB' because that feature wasn`t built in the camera but a 'preset WB' was set by the man who converted it.The D200 with a filter on the lens is terrible for Ir,very noisy.Hotspot is another problem encountered,it`s lens related so if you are thinking of trying Ir
make sure your lens doesn`t give hotspots.
Most of the lower level Nikons are great for ir with the D70 the king,the Pro level Nikons are not good Ir cameras because they are built for visible light with a strong Ir blocking filter.
You will see the term 'channel swap' and wonder what`s the significance....It will cause the sky to turn blue and the vegetation white most of the time.
This is the 'channel swap' for Photoshop..
image/adjustment/channel mixture...
output channel....red 100 change to 0.......blue 0 change to 100 [don`t click,just select blue channel
output channel...red.....0 change to 100 blue 100 change to 0...click ok.
I used an 'action' which is...duplicate the image,auto levels.channel swap.
Auto levels will give your image more contrast and tonal range but be careful of blown highlights.
From there you can use plugins or play around in photoshop for more colors.
This is my Ir home.......
irphotocom.proboards.com/index.cgi ?
Feel free to browse.
From an old thread..... www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...a-and-film-ir-camera

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #86645 by Henry Peach

mj~shutterbugg wrote: Great link but now I feel like all hope is lost. How do I do IR in photoshop? I am not able to spend the 73 bucks on a hoya filter for something to try and see if I like it.

Buy a roll of 120 format E6 (daylight balance) film. It doesn't matter much about what ISO or kind, so just go for what ever is cheap on the out of date shelf. Do not use or expose the film. Have it processed unshot. You will get back a long wide strip of black plastic. This can be used as a poor man's IR filter. You'll have to figure out a way to attach it to a filter or get it over the lens. A double layer of the film blocks almost all visible light, but does allow IR to pass.

I use a double layer of it on my flash when shooting an IR converted DSLR.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024