'Before' And 'After' Makeup Photos Ignite Debate

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #298401 by PhotographyTalk
A recent set of photos on Reddit is causing quite a stir. It shows a before and after image of a woman with the simple caption “Make-up. That’s it.” The images are so wildly different many people would doubt that it’s even the same person. The make-up techniques employed use a contouring technique, which create shadows and depths in places where there might not actually be any. This makes her nose thinner, her forehead smaller and less round, and gives her more defined cheekbones. The general foundation also helps with the light reflecting off her forehead in the first pictures, which makes her looks sweaty even though she may not have been the moment the photo was taken.

Photo via: Reddit

There’s a little bit more at play here than just the make-up, however. Her hair is curly, which frames her made-up face wonderfully and makes it stand out. She’s also sitting up much straighter, which any great portraiture photographer will tell you makes a world of difference in how someone comes across in a photo. Good posture makes the subject look taller, more confident, and improves the final outcome of the portrait. Those two things in addition to her make-up make her go from an ordinary girl to someone who looks like a supermodel. If her hair was kept straight and she was slumping the make-up might have still been impressive, but the end result may not have been as dramatic.

Another factor in improving the woman’s appearance is a simple angling of her face. This can change someones appearance with or without make-up. In the first picture, neither of her ears are visible, but in the second her right ear is shown indicating that she is turned slightly to the left. Typical portraiture photography tends to avoid photographing subjects head on as perfect symmetry is generally uninteresting. In the second shot her hair is parted a little more to the side with some of it tucked behind her right ear while she turns slightly to the left.

Further on in the Reddit thread a user posted another example of how a few small things such as angles and posture can make a huge impact on someone’s appearance. Australian personal trainer Melanie Ventura slumped over in her first picture letting her stomach protrude over her tight red swimsuit bottoms. In 15 minutes she applied body glow and make up, swapped out her tight red bottoms for larger more slimming black ones, and popped her hip out in the photo to give her body some angles. She also applied make-up and changed her hair much like the woman in the first series of photographs, albeit not to the dramatic extent that the first woman has done. All of these things combined changed her appearance incredibly rapidly.

All of these skills are employed by photographers from traditional portrait sittings all the way up to high fashion photography shoots. These are tried and true tricks of the trade that have been practiced pretty much since portrait photography was founded. The next time you are about to step in front of a camera for a portrait take a moment to powder your nose and maybe put on some eyeliner to make your eyes pop. When the photographer tells you to look slightly to the left or right, sit up straighter, or tilt your head a little bit, you should listen to them. These tricks will make a huge difference.

Note: Link for second example: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408384...-transformation.html

Attachments:
10 years 6 months ago #298410 by Roblane
Scary difference when you think about this

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298419 by Gump
In the morning you role over AND.... "who the heck are you!?" :rofl:

Nice Photoshop work

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298555 by StephanieW
I think she's beautiful either way. Reducing the shine with powder, having her straighten up and angle her face, and maybe doing something with her hair are all that's really needed to make her look better. All the rest makes her not look like her anymore. She doesn't need her nose or forehead shaped differently. Just... sit up and put on some powder and you're good. :)

10 years 6 months ago #298595 by Stealthy Ninja
You mean to say makeup and hair make a difference to how you look?
10 years 6 months ago #298621 by John Landolfi
Were the shots taken with the same lens? I seems as if the one on the left was taken with a wider lens than the one on the right. Any thoughts?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298630 by Stealthy Ninja

John Landolfi wrote: Were the shots taken with the same lens? I seems as if the one on the left was taken with a wider lens than the one on the right. Any thoughts?

Probably taken with a phone. :banana:
10 years 6 months ago #298666 by Josh Jofoto

Gump wrote: In the morning you role over AND.... "who the heck are you!?" :rofl:

Nice Photoshop work

You beat me to me on this! :rofl:

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
10 years 6 months ago #298708 by John Landolfi

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: Were the shots taken with the same lens? I seems as if the one on the left was taken with a wider lens than the one on the right. Any thoughts?

Probably taken with a phone. :banana:

But the difference in focal length seems pretty obvious. And the one on the left shows what look like clear WA type distortion. :unsure:

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298919 by Jim Photo
What a big difference!

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298982 by garyrhook

John Landolfi wrote: But the difference in focal length seems pretty obvious. And the one on the left shows what look like clear WA type distortion. :unsure:

Admittedly not an expert, and I haven't overlaid the images in PS to mess with them, but the horizontal distance between the bulbs above the mirror seems quite consistent between the two images. The only real difference I can see is the distance to the subject appears to have changed slightly. What criteria are you using to conclude the focal length change is obvious?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298990 by John Landolfi

garyrhook wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: But the difference in focal length seems pretty obvious. And the one on the left shows what look like clear WA type distortion. :unsure:

Admittedly not an expert, and I haven't overlaid the images in PS to mess with them, but the horizontal distance between the bulbs above the mirror seems quite consistent between the two images. The only real difference I can see is the distance to the subject appears to have changed slightly. What criteria are you using to conclude the focal length change is obvious?

I'm certainly no expert, either, Gary. But, while horizontal distances in the background seem consistent between the two images, those in the foreground don';t seem to be: the distance between the corners of her mouth and between the inner corners of her eyes seems to be 1/8" larger on the left image than on the right one. That could indicate a wider lens for the left image. It looks to me like the difference between using a 35mm vs a 50mm fairly close to the subject, what I noticed when I experimented with a 35mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.4.
Interested to know what you think. :cheers:

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299038 by garyrhook

John Landolfi wrote: I'm certainly no expert, either, Gary. But, while horizontal distances in the background seem consistent between the two images, those in the foreground don';t seem to be: the distance between the corners of her mouth and between the inner corners of her eyes seems to be 1/8" larger on the left image than on the right one. That could indicate a wider lens for the left image. It looks to me like the difference between using a 35mm vs a 50mm fairly close to the subject, what I noticed when I experimented with a 35mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.4.

OK, yeah, those I see. Wondering if it was a mobile phone that does it's own adjustments? The "after" is certainly more flattering, geometrically speaking. Since the issue here is the makeup, I think they made their point.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299076 by John Landolfi

garyrhook wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: I'm certainly no expert, either, Gary. But, while horizontal distances in the background seem consistent between the two images, those in the foreground don';t seem to be: the distance between the corners of her mouth and between the inner corners of her eyes seems to be 1/8" larger on the left image than on the right one. That could indicate a wider lens for the left image. It looks to me like the difference between using a 35mm vs a 50mm fairly close to the subject, what I noticed when I experimented with a 35mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.4.

OK, yeah, those I see. Wondering if it was a mobile phone that does it's own adjustments? The "after" is certainly more flattering, geometrically speaking. Since the issue here is the makeup, I think they made their point.

Yes, but helping your case by exaggerating the difference by using different lenses (I don't believe it's a phone, BTW) isn't cricket, photographically speaking. Classic "Before/After" chicanery...unnecessary, since the make-up point is obviously valid.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024