Sony Camera Forum:

Welcome to the Sony Camera Forum by PhotographyTalk, the place to discuss Sony cameras. Here you can question, comment, and talk about Sony cameras such as the Alpha, A55, and all things Sony. The following are reviews of some Sony cameras that we recommend:  Sony A35 | Sony A55 | Sony a580L | Sony A900 | Sony NEX C3 | Sony NEX 5 | Sony A77

Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon 2 years 8 months ago #211496

I'm a Sony gal and always reading news and rumors about the camera brand. I was reading a bloggers post this morning where they were forecasting that Sony could catch up with Nikon and Canon in 5 years going with the current rate they are. That some recent camera releases put Sony in the same group.

I thought these were big shoes to fill, anyone feel that this could happen?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon 2 years 8 months ago #211517

Only at the consumer level. Not at the professional or even enthusiasts level. Sony is great for new features, which casual shooters love. But they need to tighten up their quality to pry enthusiasts away from Canon and Nikon.

Kelly Cook
(Sony to Canon convert)
Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

Re: Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon 2 years 8 months ago #211526

I agree with Kelly. I'm a Sony shooter myself but I'm hesitant to buy new lens because it seems Sony is going all over the place, such as the 'E' mount lenses, etc. They bring out a product such as the A700 and then discontinue it within a couple of years. I like my Sony, but I'm not sure I'll replace it when it breaks. They still have a LONG way to go to catch Nikon & Canon. Plus their customer support leaves a lot to be desired.

Re: Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon 2 years 8 months ago #211534

Sony is gaining on Canikon in Japan and Europe. Worldwide sales are tough to nail down. The NEX series gave Sony a boost in these markets but except to see a push back from Canikon. Kelly is correct in his analysis of the consumer and the serious photographer. It will take a large investment in developing a series of systems for Sony to continue the trend.
Sony make a great camera but perception is still important.
Here are the 2010 numbers
According to the global IDC numbers for 2010, Canon had a 44.5% global market share versus 29.8% by Nikon and 11.9% by Sony.
www.1001noisycameras.com/2011/04/canon-d...ket-share-yir-6.html
Also remember the the tsunami set back Canon and Nikon for the past year.
Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Re: Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon 2 years 8 months ago #211682

As long as Sony keeps doing things like making a wacky speedlight foot/shoe they will fail. As long as they refuse to let other companies make things for their wacky designs they will fail. I need an off camera flash cord for my Sony NEX. Sony won't make one, and they won't let anyone else make one either (they have patent control on their wacky flash interface). My next compact camera will not be a Sony.

Re: Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon 2 years 8 months ago #211687

Henry Peach wrote:
As long as Sony keeps doing things like making a wacky speedlight foot/shoe they will fail. As long as they refuse to let other companies make things for their wacky designs they will fail. I need an off camera flash cord for my Sony NEX. Sony won't make one, and they won't let anyone else make one either (they have patent control on their wacky flash interface). My next compact camera will not be a Sony.
:agree: Apple had/has that business plan. The difference is that they had a unique product. As other brands produce "mirrorless" models, Sony will either wake up or shrivel and die. Even Apple has opened the door a little (running Windows on their PCs). They have the money to buy up composition like Microsoft did for a while and troll for patents. It's what keeps Apple alive.

Canon stays ahead of Nikon in the comsumer DSLR market for the same reason. Lack of add-ons and protecting proprietary hardware/software for their entry level units. Far easier to find third party equipment for Canon entry level than for Nikon.
Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Re: Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon 2 years 7 months ago #216668

I'm surprised. I have not had any issues with customer service. I guess of the sounds of things, I was lucky!