Sony is closing the gap on Nikon and Canon

12 years 1 week ago #211496 by Sandy Smith Photos
I'm a Sony gal and always reading news and rumors about the camera brand. I was reading a bloggers post this morning where they were forecasting that Sony could catch up with Nikon and Canon in 5 years going with the current rate they are. That some recent camera releases put Sony in the same group.

I thought these were big shoes to fill, anyone feel that this could happen?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 week ago #211517 by KCook
Only at the consumer level. Not at the professional or even enthusiasts level. Sony is great for new features, which casual shooters love. But they need to tighten up their quality to pry enthusiasts away from Canon and Nikon.

Kelly Cook
(Sony to Canon convert)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 week ago #211526 by Nod
I agree with Kelly. I'm a Sony shooter myself but I'm hesitant to buy new lens because it seems Sony is going all over the place, such as the 'E' mount lenses, etc. They bring out a product such as the A700 and then discontinue it within a couple of years. I like my Sony, but I'm not sure I'll replace it when it breaks. They still have a LONG way to go to catch Nikon & Canon. Plus their customer support leaves a lot to be desired.

12 years 1 week ago #211534 by Baydream
Sony is gaining on Canikon in Japan and Europe. Worldwide sales are tough to nail down. The NEX series gave Sony a boost in these markets but except to see a push back from Canikon. Kelly is correct in his analysis of the consumer and the serious photographer. It will take a large investment in developing a series of systems for Sony to continue the trend.
Sony make a great camera but perception is still important.
Here are the 2010 numbers
According to the global IDC numbers for 2010, Canon had a 44.5% global market share versus 29.8% by Nikon and 11.9% by Sony.
www.1001noisycameras.com/2011/04/canon-d...ket-share-yir-6.html
Also remember the the tsunami set back Canon and Nikon for the past year.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 week ago #211682 by Henry Peach
As long as Sony keeps doing things like making a wacky speedlight foot/shoe they will fail. As long as they refuse to let other companies make things for their wacky designs they will fail. I need an off camera flash cord for my Sony NEX. Sony won't make one, and they won't let anyone else make one either (they have patent control on their wacky flash interface). My next compact camera will not be a Sony.
12 years 1 week ago #211687 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote: As long as Sony keeps doing things like making a wacky speedlight foot/shoe they will fail. As long as they refuse to let other companies make things for their wacky designs they will fail. I need an off camera flash cord for my Sony NEX. Sony won't make one, and they won't let anyone else make one either (they have patent control on their wacky flash interface). My next compact camera will not be a Sony.

:agree: Apple had/has that business plan. The difference is that they had a unique product. As other brands produce "mirrorless" models, Sony will either wake up or shrivel and die. Even Apple has opened the door a little (running Windows on their PCs). They have the money to buy up composition like Microsoft did for a while and troll for patents. It's what keeps Apple alive.

Canon stays ahead of Nikon in the comsumer DSLR market for the same reason. Lack of add-ons and protecting proprietary hardware/software for their entry level units. Far easier to find third party equipment for Canon entry level than for Nikon.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #216668 by Sandy Smith Photos
I'm surprised. I have not had any issues with customer service. I guess of the sounds of things, I was lucky!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024