Does anyone shoot with a Sony?

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #326327 by Stealthy Ninja
Now, I have to kinda back-pedal a bit as Sony have actually done something good... I am myself now a Sony user despite all I said above, BUT I'd still not go for a Sony DSLR over a Canon/Nikon.

I own a Sony a7 which as far as I can tell has the same or similar sensor as a Canon 6D or Nikon D600. It also is a very nice FF mirrorless body. They also have an a7r which is similar to a D800e but with worse AF. Being an ex-D800 and D800e owner I know I don't need a D800e sensor again (especially in a small body) so I went for an A7 over the A7r.

So far I like it, the kit lens isn't the best, but it'll do for a bit.

I still stand by what I said. I think Canon/Nikon make better DSLR cameras, BUT Sony are really moving in the right direction... and the new FE glass is quite reasonably priced to be honest.

Well done Sony.

As for the Sony users angry over my opinions. If you like the a99 or whatever and it works for you that's great!
10 years 2 months ago #326469 by Baydream
I have several friends shooting Sony and they produce beautiful images. It is a personal choice and it is the eye behind the camera.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #326787 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: I have several friends shooting Sony and they produce beautiful images. It is a personal choice and it is the eye behind the camera.

That's true.

Just I think with DSLR cameras Canon/Nikon are still a better choice. Though Sony are getting there and they're definitely not afraid to innovate.
10 years 3 weeks ago #353519 by Tiler02
I shoot with a Sony. I have 4. I started with a Sony F707 as my first digital at 5 megapixel. Bought a A-33 when they came out. I bought my girlfriend the A-55 and then got the A-77 for me. Have had very few problems. The A-33 tends to get hot and needs to cool in the summer. The A-55 had a shutter problem that was fixed under warranty. The A-77 works like a champ.

10 years 3 weeks ago #353787 by Luis Felipe
For me, does´t matter who use Sony or another camera brand. The important for me, is to feel confortable with the camera and brand that you choose.

I choose Sony, because you have the Zeiss option, that I love. For me are better lenses that Canon or Nikon. It is true that you have less lenses option, but finally you have that you need. And I think, that with the time, you will have more options.

The EV is increible¡¡¡ Is not easy to feel confortable at the beginning, but then you will feel very good with it¡¡ You have a lot of information, you can shoot at night easily. For me is a great tool.

10 years 3 weeks ago #354061 by Stealthy Ninja
I tell you what camera has a NICE NICE NICE EVF, the Fuji X-T1. It's like looking at a large movie screen... so jealous of that.
9 years 11 months ago #371749 by gchaddy
Hi I shoot sony Started with an A200 then an A55 and now an A77
i can't comment on other brands as I've not owned one or used one.
i like my sonys plus all my gear is sony based . 
I  selected sony at first because the in body stabilisation  plus I could use Minolta lenses  which are cheap which helps when your on a budget.
at the end of the day I love to take photos. It's become my obsession  and as an amateur my sonys have kept me happy

9 years 9 months ago #380993 by Tanner Bello
I'm looking at getting a A7, just on the fence.  Would like to see Sony come out with more glass.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #381084 by Stealthy Ninja
I don't even use Sony glass.
9 years 9 months ago #383067 by Mark Hossack
I use an A200 which is my first DSLR. I've been really happy with it.

I'm hoping to switch to an A77 II at some point next year. Apart from everything else at least it's got a standard hotshoe so I won't need an adapter any more! Sony compatible versions of everything are so much more expensive for some reason.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024