Sony α7 vs α7R Hands-on Camera Review

10 years 4 months ago #313605 by PhotographyTalk

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #326357 by Stealthy Ninja
Saw this. Helped me decided to get an a7 as an everyday body. I personally think 36MP (D800e sensor) is overkill for an everyday body. Having owned the D800e before I know how awesome that sensor is

So far I like the a7. The AF is surprisingly good at tracking, but the kit lens is a little bit meh. I'm gonna either get some M mount MF lenses or one of the Sony FE prime lenses. THEN I'll get the 24-70 f/4 OSS when it comes out in Feb.

I will skip the coming 70-200 f/4 lens as I can use my Canon kit if I want that.

I'm actually looking forward to playing with some manual focus glass via adapters too, but I'll probably go for the Sony 55 1.8 to start off.
10 years 3 months ago #326387 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Saw this. Helped me decided to get an a7 as an everyday body. I personally think 36MP (D800e sensor) is overkill for an everyday body. Having owned the D800e before I know how awesome that sensor is

So far I like the a7. The AF is surprisingly good at tracking, but the kit lens is a little bit meh. I'm gonna either get some M mount MF lenses or one of the Sony FE prime lenses. THEN I'll get the 24-70 f/4 OSS when it comes out in Feb.

I will skip the coming 70-200 f/4 lens as I can use my Canon kit if I want that.

I'm actually looking forward to playing with some manual focus glass via adapters too, but I'll probably go for the Sony 55 1.8 to start off.

When did you pick this camera up? Congrats on the new toy! I floored with both the a7 and the a7r. Speaking of the a7r, I have a few photos posted in the critique section here taken with this camera. Have you considered the 35mm f/2.8 for it?

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #326423 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Saw this. Helped me decided to get an a7 as an everyday body. I personally think 36MP (D800e sensor) is overkill for an everyday body. Having owned the D800e before I know how awesome that sensor is

When did you pick this camera up? Congrats on the new toy! I floored with both the a7 and the a7r. Speaking of the a7r, I have a few photos posted in the critique section here taken with this camera. Have you considered the 35mm f/2.8 for it?

I got it for Christmas from my wonderful WIFE. :o

I have considered that lens (35 2.8 ). I just wish it was a bit faster. Though the 35 2.8 is certainly a nice lens. Small and sharp. I might go for the 55 1.8 though because of the speed and the fact I have 35 and 85 on my Canon. If I'm shooting with two bodies (which I could in theory) then having a lens other than the one I already have for Canon would be nice... or perhaps having the 35 2.8 to go with the Zeiss 85 1.4 Perhaps for 35mm 2.8 is enough and it's a nice and small lens... though I'm actually thinking of going a bit different with the Sony to the Canon when it comes to primes. Doing a 24mm and 55mm prime combo instead of the 35 and 85 combo I have on the Canon. This would give me a really wide look (which I like for events too) and a "normal" look for most things (55mm).

I did this on my Fuji (14mm and 35mm, which is about 21mm and 55mm) and it was ok. I do prefer 35mm and 85mm generally, but the 21mm and 55mm combo is nice too.

I'm also considering getting this:

www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voi...e-focus-adapter.html

Not the cheapest adapter for M -> E-mount but it lets you focus closer than usual and being Voigtländer would have nice quality.

Then getting the Voigtländer 35 1.2 II in M mount. Also maybe a 21mm or 15mm from Voigtländer.

MOST LIKELY I'll go 55 1.8 and a Voigtländer 21 1.8 (expensive lens but highly regarded). 21mm doesn't need real precise focusing like a 55 would need (and the a7 has some nice AF). So this seems the best combo for me. Who knows, maybe Sony will bring out a fast 24 or something before I get round to buying the Voigtländer.

Then again I could always go 35 2.8 AND 55 1.8 ;) lol Though that does seem like a little bit of overkill considering they're a couple of step (meaning footsteps) forward or backward from each other.

I'll definitely be getting the 24-70 f/4 to replace the so-so kit lens. But that's not out till late Feb.

A7r is certainly a nice camera too if you want the resolution boost. For you it's a clear choice (since you do more landscapes). For me it's not my "pro" camera and I intend to use it for video a bit more than others will, so the a7 is a better choice. Plus I already know how hard 36MP is to work with ;) 24MP will do for me.

:kmonst:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024