Help on portrait lens

13 years 5 days ago #43576 by Dan13lle
The only lens I've been using is my 70-300, as much as I love it, I don't think I could shoot good portraits with it. My friend recently asked if I could take pictures of their 13yr old daughter. I am fine with photographing portraits, but I would like a lens I could easily move around with?

13 years 5 days ago #43577 by KatieKite
I have a 85mm lens, which is good for potraits. That is what I mainly shoot and I love it.

13 years 5 days ago #43578 by Dan13lle
Yea, I heard prime lenses are good for portraits, but I was thinking of a zoom lens, just not sure what length.

13 years 2 days ago #44675 by Foto-House
If you are not locked to the idea of having to buy /use manufacture brand lenses then I would consider the Tamron SP lenses. I have both the 70-200 and the 28-75 f2.8 I have used them both for location portrait work with excellent results. Also depending on what camera (i.e. APS-c or FF) the 50mm 1.4(Sony & Minolta),the 1.7(Minolta), or the 1.8(Sony) work well for APS-c, and the 85mm (just be ready to get out the checkbook for this one), the 100mm Macro 2.8 (both Sony & Minolta) work well for FF. I don't know what your experience level is but one of the key elements in a good portrait lens is Max aperture and shooting at f2.8 to f4 to provide a soft blur (bokeh) to the background.

12 years 11 months ago #45996 by jel-huck
I have the Sony A900 and splurged and bought the Carl Zeiss f/2.8 24-70mm. You can get some great portraits with it.

12 years 11 months ago #46252 by Zardoz
I LOVE using my 300mm for portraits, the DOF is perfect for this, the proportion is excellent too. Then I read about fancy smancy photographers using longer lenses than that, they have to use walkies talkies to tell the model what to do, but they like the look of telescopic compression.

12 years 11 months ago #47169 by BigRich
Find yourself an inexpensive but tack sharp Minolta Maxxum 35-105 f3.5-4.5 and it will rock your world! Gotta be one of the best sleeper lenses around!

12 years 9 months ago #102329 by bobtourdot
I agree with the comment about the Minolta AF 35-105 being a very good portrait lens, I think the bokeh on this lens is notably better than most. - I'd note though that there are two version of this lens, the original, and the restyled newer one. I'm speaking about the original one, although it's minimum focus distance is rather large.

Another lens well suited for portraits is the Tamron 28-105 f2.8 (SP LD ?) - it's a large lens, more expensive (used) than the min 35-105 but I think it does a nice job on portraits

12 years 9 months ago #102399 by Baydream
Check out this PT Article on selecting a portrait lens.
www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...oose-a-portrait-lens

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #171801 by alexv79mx
Just what I was looking for. PT has everything, Love this site :)
12 years 4 months ago #174629 by swan
If you have a full frame sensor, I'd suggest a Minolta 135mm f2.8 (if you can find one).

If you have a smaller sensor and want a zoom lens I'd suggest Minolta 28-75 f2.8 (constant aperture) or a Tamron 90mm macro. You could also use a 50mm f1.7 which would give an effective focal length of 75mm. This would be the minimum focal length I would use portraits.

Bottom line - you want large aperture and long focal length.

Hope this help.

12 years 4 months ago #174643 by Maria21
You didn't mention if you are shooting indoor or out. In a studio setting I tend to go with my 28-80mm zoom to give me a little flexibility & a shallow DOF for specific low light shots (candlelits) It also helps when I'm in close quarters. But when I'm outdoors I like to use my 70-210 zoom to give both myself & my subject a little more freedom of movement & variety of shots with a single pose. As mentioned in some posts before most portraits tend to be within the 70-80mm range so if your lens covers that range you should be good.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 4 months ago #175730 by S18c34

alexv79mx wrote: Just what I was looking for. PT has everything, Love this site :)

Yes, they do and the answers to this thread just keep on coming. It's so great! :thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024