Dog trials

10 years 3 days ago #371009 by Don Fischer
Got some new photo's at a field trial this past weekend I really like. This one is of a dog sent to retrieve in a call back for retrieving.

img\def

Delivering the bird to the handler. I apologize if this offends anyone, not meant to.

img\def

This last one is of a dog pointing the live bird.

img\def

10 years 3 days ago #371189 by garyrhook

Don Fischer wrote: Delivering the bird to the handler. I apologize if this offends anyone, not meant to.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to be exposed to, you know, nature, or anything like that.

I like #1.  Good capture.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 days ago #371631 by Stella Marize
the second and the third photo needs to improve in their depth of field.
Also, I cant connect to the message of the photos. Lacks drama and story.
The first one is interesting. you can use it as a benchmark.

10 years 1 day ago #371776 by Don Fischer
Thanks Gary!

Improve depth of field? You mean greater depth of field? The object is the dog and the handler, not the foreground or the background. I don't want to distract from them with a clear foreground and background.  Lacking drama and story would depend on your understanding of the sport. The second photo is a very well executed retrieve to hand. They are not all this nice! In the third is the game playing out between the dog and the bird. normally the dog does not see the bird but rather smells it. With no more than the smell the dog needs to know how close it can get without flushing the bird and should not be so far out sso the handler has a hard time finding the bird. I seldom shoot birds anymore, i prefer watching the game between the dog and the bird. Years ago I'd go bird hunting with the dog's and take only a blank gun with me. Really great, for many of us, just watching the game play out and blanking the bird. Bird lives to play another day but lose's to the dog when you flush it and blank it. Some dog's get really bent up stopping and being still to point the bird without flushing it.

The lady on the right is the handler and that is her dog. Notice the dog is not merely standing there. It has the bird located and will not move for fear of not being able to hold the bird for the handler, the story playing out.

img\def

10 years 1 day ago #371812 by garyrhook
I am going to take a guess and suggest she means shallower DoF. Those shots are at F8, but you could have gotten away with F5 or wider from that distance. Me, I would have gone with wide open on #1 (assuming an f/2.8 lens).

It looks like you have a 300mm tele? I'd zoom in ever farther. And I would not go with a square-ish crop on these types of shots. But that's just me.

As for "lacks drama and story", taking my suggestions into account #3, more emphasis on the dog and a tighter crop may reveal the tension in the animal more effectively. If I'm understanding what you're going for (a guess) you want us to see the focus and intensity of the animal as it holds the bird. To accomplish requires, I think, a tighter crop and shallower DoF.

Not intending to be critical, just sharing some thoughts.

Photo Comments
10 years 19 hours ago #371877 by Don Fischer
That could be. But in the call backs, what these were, you have to stay behind the judges and they were pretty far off. I notice with my camera if I'm to far away, it doesn't focus as well with wide apertures. So in the call back's I do close down a bit. Still throws out the background some, just not as much. When I first started doing these, two years ago, I shot most everything at f8. Now I open as wide as I can and up ISO to get more speed. Sometimes these things come out great and other's they are useable. Lot of deleted stuff!

9 years 11 months ago #374080 by Michael Blake
I agree with Gary and Stella. On the contrary, I really admire your dogs. 

9 years 11 months ago #374101 by garyrhook

Don Fischer wrote: That could be. But in the call backs, what these were, you have to stay behind the judges and they were pretty far off.

Time to rent a 500mm  :banana:

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374247 by PeterPaulCollins
Yeah.  Try a 500 mm.

9 years 11 months ago #374288 by Don Fischer
I just might do that.. have a 170-500 for my d70. I'll give that a try next weekend.

9 years 11 months ago #374566 by Martha Bronter
Very cute dogs. I am learning a lot from the thread. keep posting. I also planning to try shots like this and would probably use a 500mm. Thanks.

9 years 11 months ago #375031 by Don Fischer
For call backs, a single power lens would be fine. But when the dog is breaking away, probably be better off with a zoom. Dogs come at you to fast and before you know it, the dog won't fit into the frame. I though about trying my 170-500 on cast off's but I'm afraid the dog's would bury me. Wish I could afford the 80-400 Nikon lens, might be lots better.

9 years 11 months ago #375092 by Princess Burk
These dogs are adorable. I had one like this before. It's fun and learning at the same time.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024