Sad day for me

9 years 8 months ago #385427 by Tom-Lutz
 I finally broke down and did it. I used this site's controls and photo shopped several of my photos to see what would happen.  I hate photo shopping. To me its nothing but cheating but it seems to be the only way to win anything on this site. I just had a great photo take off like a rocket after I posted it and not I'm wondering what if I destroyed it with P.S. ?? 

The topic has been locked.
9 years 8 months ago #385429 by boriqua latina
Hey no need to be sad.. Lets see what you done , show us the photo here if u can and if u want criticism we are here to help..  Photoshop is not cheating... it takes practice and you should enjoy every moment of it.. Wheres the photo?

9 years 8 months ago #385433 by Allen D
Photoshop is half the photo process to me.  Any way, lets see your work

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #385434 by garyrhook

Tom-Lutz wrote:  I finally broke down and did it. I used this site's controls and photo shopped several of my photos to see what would happen.  I hate photo shopping. To me its nothing but cheating but it seems to be the only way to win anything on this site. I just had a great photo take off like a rocket after I posted it and not I'm wondering what if I destroyed it with P.S. ?? 

A) What do you mean "win anything on this site?" Are you referring to ViewBug? PT is just a forum; the contests are over on VB.

2) There are a number of threads on this site related to editing of images. There's nothing wrong with editing images, and editors such as PS/et. al. are just a digital darkroom. You can do a little or a lot, it's up to you. But editing is not evil in and of itself.

Keep in mind that adjusting contrast and exposure, dodging and burning and the like, just like was done in a darkroom, is considered "editing" and it's not a bad thing. I won't even discuss the fact that JPGs are images that have been edited by the camera's software.

Essentially, a refusal to edit based on "editing" is arrogant (stubborn), just like demanding that images are edited for the sake of editing. The goal IMO should be to create your best image and fulfill your artistic vision. If PS helps that, why is that wrong?

Frankly, most "out of the camera" images are not good anyway.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #385437 by Scotty

Tom-Lutz wrote:  I finally broke down and did it. I used this site's controls and photo shopped several of my photos to see what would happen.  I hate photo shopping. To me its nothing but cheating but it seems to be the only way to win anything on this site. I just had a great photo take off like a rocket after I posted it and not I'm wondering what if I destroyed it with P.S. ?? 

Your camera's files are meant to be edited. It's in the design.  Congrats, you moved up in developing your art.

Celebrate.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #385442 by Tom-Lutz
I've got everything posted over at viewbug on my profile over there. I'll admit a few of the pics I've worked were personal favs and in doing this I hope they'll get more views and awards than without the P.S.

9 years 8 months ago #385449 by Scotty

Tom-Lutz wrote: I've got everything posted over at viewbug on my profile over there. I'll admit a few of the pics I've worked were personal favs and in doing this I hope they'll get more views and awards than without the P.S.

What exactly do you have against PS and editing in general?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom-Lutz
9 years 8 months ago #385451 by Tom-Lutz
To me its cheating. Let a photo rise or fall on its origonal merit, not on what's done after the fact.

9 years 8 months ago #385453 by Tuscan Muse
What Gary said.  Plus:
The world's greatest photographs were edited in an old-fashioned dark room.  PS is now the dark room and you have artistic control over how much you edit or how little.  Cheating?  I don't see it that way.  I see it as a completion of the artistic vision that drew you to take the photograph in the first place.
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #385486 by Scotty

Tom-Lutz wrote: To me its cheating. Let a photo rise or fall on its origonal merit, not on what's done after the fact.

You know your camera edits for you right? So you're effectively already photoshopping....

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #385489 by Tom-Lutz
a camera isn't a full photo shop suite program. It only does a limited amount of editing. IF I ever get my old photos from my 35mm SLR that I used to have, I'll scan those off and post some of them to this site. That may be a few years down the road.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #385498 by Scotty

Tom-Lutz wrote: a camera isn't a full photo shop suite program. It only does a limited amount of editing. IF I ever get my old photos from my 35mm SLR that I used to have, I'll scan those off and post some of them to this site. That may be a few years down the road.

Correct.  The camera does limited editing.  Saying photoshopping is just saying you're editing.  It's a very vague statement.  Those old film shots you have been edited as well in a dark room.  There is literally 0 difference.

Look forward to seeing the shots you upload.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #385507 by IzzieK
Maybe what you want to do is get it right in your camera then post it. If you don't want to edit then shoot in JPEG -- the camera can do the editing for you. But most photographers including me who is not much of a photographer had learned to shoot in RAW and edit through Photoshop. Now a RAW file need to be put in your computer and processed as a viewable image unless this site can accept RAW files for all of us to view each files. 

Translating your RAW file to a viewable image like TIF, PNG or Jpeg is processing, where you like to accept that or not. Celebrate your creativity... and learn from it.

9 years 8 months ago #385525 by Tom-Lutz
 I do celebrate my creativity. I take great photos, without any type of enhancement. I get tons of compliments and at VB I get people giving me their awards of Superior  skills, top choice or what ever they feel my photo deserves. To me, to have to do anything more, is prop up something which by itself, wouldn't stand a chance on its own without the photo shopping. I keep debating with myself about setting up a contest over there and make it 100% photo shop free, no P.s. at all and see what happens.

9 years 8 months ago #385527 by Tom-Lutz
You'll have to friend me over at View bug. I use the controls over there to do all the photo shopping and there's no way to lift it off that site and then put it here or anywhere. The site just won't let it for security reasons.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024