Should I be offended or flattered?

10 years 1 month ago #354593 by photofreak
Do you ask yourself this question? "Should I be offended or flattered?"
This is really not a question just for me. I feel this is a question that a lot of photographers and other types of artists have or have had at some point.  Is it OK to be proud of my photos? If someone simply says "did you really take that?" You may have wondered is that a compliment or an insult? I mean if someone says 'Did you really take that?', you might not know if they mean they don't believe you have the talent, capability, or the eye for such an outstanding shot. But then instead of being insulted, you may feel 'proud' or flattered that they were so impressed, and they just didn't know what else to say. Sure, it would be nice to hear everyone that sees a new picture you have captured just 'know' that had to be yours.

I fell in love with Macro photography a long time ago. Here's a little story that really made me feel almost depressed, as well as insulted, and in the end, confused. A while back, I had taken a photo of a small bloom(about the size of a quarter), in the early morning. The morning dew had turned this bloom into something unreal. Quickly, I grabbed my camera and the lens I thought would be best, focused, and 'snap'. I had then posted it on a photography It turned out a lot better than what I thought it would. As it would happen, someone actually told me that this photo was basically worthless because the Background was blurry???? Really? They tried to explain that I needed a better camera, better lenses, and I needed to learn a bit more about focus. I felt depressed because I expected them and others to find the photo impressive. Then, there was the insulted feeling. I felt like he was making a public display of how 'intelligent' he was about photography and trying to point out his opinion of how little I knew. Then after thinking about it, I was confused. I knew what I was doing, I knew how to use my equipment, and I knew what I was trying to capture. I was confused because he just assumed it was an accident and I needed to be 'taught' a little about the world. I wondered for days why someone would do that to someone else. I'm all for constructive criticism. I look for it. But, all of the likes and positive comments about the photo overwhelmed all of what he had said and done.

Some people will feel overjoyed by the "That's unreal" response, while the insecure may instantly feel they have to defend their work and themselves and abilities. You can be proud of what you can do with what you have. When I say 'what you have' I don't just mean the equipment. I also mean having the 'eye', passion, and creativity. Equipment and money can only get you so far. Without the last three things that are actually priceless, can make any high-dollar, high-end things worthless.

The photographer that is proud of his or her photo, well, should be. You saw an opportunity and did what you had to do. That is something to be proud of.  Then you have the photographer that is so proud of him or herself, that they expect everyone to be in awe of the work, no matter how it turned out. Those are the ones who need to step back and see that there other photographers. They need to see that they can be 'outdone'. There are those who are simply proud of how much equipment they have. They can simply say "I'm a photographer, just look at all of my tools". I feel a self-confidence issue is at work in this case. They might feel that the more cameras, lighting, tripods, lenses, hoods, and the like will make themselves feel more like a photographer and they may not even know how to use half the things they own.

So can the question have a definitive answer? "Should I be offended or flattered?"
In the end, I would have to say, it is a question that is and will always be an on going topic. Everyday, I believe there is a  'new-to-photography'  person who has this very same dilemma. It's an internal emotion really.

So, at some point, it will be 'to each, his own'

I would like to hear how you feel about this. Everyone that reads this will have an opinion. Let us all know what that is.

Thanks for reading and responding,
creatively yours, photofreak

10 years 1 month ago #354609 by Tuscan Muse
This is a tough question to which there really is no easy answer.  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Replace "beauty" with "talent" and the same adage applies. Some will see your work as genius others as trash.  As humans, most people cannot help but to care about the opinions of others.  There are those rare folks that couldn't care less, but they are in the minority.  

I think that it comes down to, "I feel this way about my work and that is what matters most." Are YOU happy with the image? Always, always list the positive aspects of your work and recognize your strengths. Make this assessment with every image that matters to you.  If you do this, constructive criticism and the offensive opinions of others will be less damaging.  On the other hand, compliments from others will simply boost your prior assessment of what you did right when you took the picture.

I am not a professional photographer. I am in what I like to call the "adolescent stage" of being a photographer. When I do take shots that I am proud of, most folks never attribute the quality of the image to my skills or talent level.  My favorite, yet most annoying comment to get is, "Your camera takes really nice pictures."  To which I reply, "Thanks, I taught it everything it knows."
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #354789 by boriqua latina
i get what u saying though, never be offended though. i believe you can learn from others, in some areas that you are weak on. you should be proud of your photos only if it feels pleasing to you. "when someone says "did you really take that' you ask them y they asked that? hear them out.. you see we need to teach them and find out what they thinking .. and perhaps they can learn something from you which might catch them by surprise.. now if some said your photo was blurry perhaps it was i dont know i never seen it, but they can be right, some people come out nice and say it, but others yes i agree its more about competition , and who has the best equipment and lens and who takes better photos and so on and so on. you get what im saying. i feel this has alot to do with your confidence not basically photography. if u have high confidence it shouldnt matter what people say, just hear them out first if u feel they are wrong then u tell them thats it.. Me personally it doesnt bother me, i mean i have enough photography background, as well as teaching photography at lehman college in new york, taught studio lighting as well, ive been shooting models and worked at the international beauty show, and etc.. but i have enough confidence to let things slide, hey u think i care if another photographer wants to think hes better than me, hey i let them think that, they aint worth my energy nor my time . so my friend its time for u to find the photography that you love to do and learn from others, if they got 20 equipments who cares, u have to remember they need it cause they doing a different kind of work. every photographer is different, they need some or less equipment who knows what they need it for, but yeah some have a huge ego and thats when u know you aint got time for their nonsense.

The following user(s) said Thank You: photofreak
9 years 3 months ago #419946 by Hans-Enklaar
Hi Brian
The question is for whom did you take the photo.
I primarily take a picture to please myself. Now we can add inputs from psychology majors (not me)as to how we slowly change what we like shaped by peer example and pressure. That said I have yet to like a picture which looks as if it has been photoshopped even though it may win the competition. Must be showing my age. I travel to take pictures not the other way around since my wife likes to travel this works out fine. Living in a house with a view not many days go by without me taking a picture some of which get nice reviews but would get taken regardless. "Not another sunset", my brother cries. "They are all different", is my retort, "how can you not?".
Keep on snapping!
Cheers Hans 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: photofreak
9 years 3 months ago #420001 by photofreak
I am sorry I did not reply(I haven't been on here in a while). But what you said about the one person saying "Your camera takes really nice pictures."  To which I reply, "Thanks, I taught it everything it knows." This brings back a specific instance where a 'critic' actually, almost word for word, said the same thing. It was a photo of a waterfall in the Wichita Mountains. This 'critic' said "Wow, you must really have a good camera". I had taken several shots and changed the settings every time. Slow shutter speed that gave the feeling of movement in the water, and fast shutter speeds to freeze every drop of water. I chose to post the first one. This individual, I guess, thought what picture to take, what settings, and which photo to post. And I had nothing to do with it.

But I loved what you said: "Thanks, I taught it everything it knows"! I will definitely remember that!

9 years 3 months ago #420003 by photofreak
Thanks, Hans. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. Sunsets and macro are my favs. It is amazing how many people do not notice what's right in front or around them. I work for a retail store here and when I step outside, I get lucky sometime and see the incredible effects the sun creates as it is going down. I watch people walk out and they don't even see it. I listen for the 'oohs and aahs'. But I never do. I then actually, have to say as people walk out, "Wow, look at that!" Those that do look up at the brilliant scene in front of them, actually say something like 'wow, that's pretty'. But within a couple of seconds they are on their way again as if it was never there. I don't get that.

It blows my mind how people can be so blind to all of the things they walk by every day. Every step I take, I almost always see something that makes me almost cuss because I don't have my camera to capture the moments or the changes that are going on. I am unable to travel and I live in the deep wooded area of east Texas(tall,tall pine trees). But there is one spot outside of town where I am limited to for any sky shots at all. One area that faces a clear outstretch leading directly into the western horizon. I have taken hundreds of sunsets from that one spot over the years and I can say not one of them look anything like the other. So every sunset, everyday, in every place will always be different.

Change. A wonderful thing.

9 years 3 months ago #420199 by Baydream
I guess the thing you need to realize is that not a lot of people really understand the elements of what makes a great photo.  Even judges certified in many disciplines have different "visions", so "take what you need and leave the rest". Listen to the comment, review the photo, then choose whether to make changes. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024