Damaged Memory Card

9 years 10 months ago #381796 by Tuscan Muse
Ciao Everyone,

As you may know, I have been in Tuscany for the past few weeks hosting the Tuscan Muse workshops.  While there, I took nearly 1600 shots.  On the VERY LAST NIGHT of the trip, the main memory card that I used was damaged.  It was in my laptop and the card was damaged when my laptop was inadvertantly shoved against the wall. The memory card took the brunt of the force.  

There were a lot of tears....

Do any of you know of a company that you would recommend to recover the data?  I would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Thank you,
Linda
9 years 10 months ago #381805 by Scott Klubeck
 How bad is the damage?  Is the insides of the card crushed?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381811 by Tuscan Muse
No, the inside is not crushed.  The little black box thingie is fine.  The "mother board" (?) is not bent, but as far as I can tell there may be two places where little posts are broken.
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #381812 by gdbrekke
If one of the software-based recovery options doesn't work (one probably came with your card or is downloadable from your card vendor's web site) it probably won't be cheap. A data recovery service may be your best option.

It'll cost anywhere from $100 - $500 for a full restore of data from a damaged card, and they will give you an estimate of what can be recovered (for a small fee) before they do the work.

I've use Kroll Ontrack in the past for hard drive recovery, and I know they work with memory cards too -- 

I'm in Portland, Oregon, and there are a number of local companies that advertise data recovery services from damaged media. You may try a local Google search (I used "damaged media data recovery") to see if there are local options.

You can also look on the internet for instructions on how to disassemble your damaged card and move the memory storing portion of your card to a working card. One slip up and it's over though, so not recommended if you value those images.

I've been on assignment when a memory card failed and can sympathize with the tears.

Best of luck!
Gregg
9 years 10 months ago #381820 by Prago
:goodpost:  good solution

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381825 by Prago
Is this a SD or Compact Flash card?  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381830 by Tuscan Muse
It's an SD card.

Also, thanks to all who have replied.  I have not lost hope!
9 years 10 months ago #382006 by Ian Stone
I would agree with the posts already given.  I was wondering what happened to you.  Can't wait to see those photos.  What part of Italy were you in?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #382015 by Joves

Tuscan Muse wrote: No, the inside is not crushed.  The little black box thingie is fine.  The "mother board" (?) is not bent, but as far as I can tell there may be two places where little posts are broken.

So from what you are describing the interface port on your laptop is broken. Or are you speaking about the contacts on the SD card? If it is the first then use a card reader plugged into your laptops USB port. If it is the second, then it will most likely need to go to the card manufacturer, or a good data retrieval shop that specializes in getting things from damaged drives. You might try using a card reader first since it is the fastest, and easiest to determine if that will work. If I am misunderstanding the damage, then please post a photo of the damage. SD cards are near impossible to destroy as far as them functioning.

9 years 10 months ago #382619 by Tuscan Muse
Thanks to everyone for their comments and willingness to help.  Here are pics of the card.  I am going to get quotes from data recovery companies.  

Ian, I have a few pictures from the ONE day that I put a different card in the camera.  We were exclusively in Tuscany.

Thanks again,
Linda

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024