Photography Tip: How to take AND process Infrared Photos!

13 years 1 month ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #38669 by PhotographyTalk
I've seen a number of you asking about infrared photos, and the difference between using a filter and getting the conversion done to your camera. Here are a couple video's that you should find pretty helpful. The first video shows you how to take a infrared photo using a R72 filter. Now if you have converted your camera to a infrared camera, there are still some useful things to know about this type of photography, so this video will be helpful.

The 2nd video below shows you step by step how to process the photos in Photoshop!

Enjoy:
Nikon D600 | Nikon D7100 | Nikon D800 | Canon 5D Mark III | Canon EOS-1D X

Recommended Reading:

The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinA65, aandavar
13 years 1 month ago #38673 by Cliff
So here's a question - can you make a HDR from bracketing 3+ infrared photos together?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #38677 by Happy-pixel
Would be nice to see side by side comparison of IR photo with lens filter vs camera conversion. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #38772 by Hamtastic
I'm curious on that also, does just having a filter on the camera yield the same results? I was told that the best way with infrared camera's is to have the camera converted to IR. I was thinking about getting a used camera this summer for that exact reason. Buy a inexpensive used DSLR from Craigslist, then send it off for the conversion and off I go!

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #38795 by Watson

Happy-pixel wrote: Would be nice to see side by side comparison of IR photo with lens filter vs camera conversion. :thumbsup:

:agree: But it was still a nice video tutorial, as I have no idea how to take infrared photos.

13 years 1 month ago #38796 by 56SN0

Cliff wrote: So here's a question - can you make a HDR from bracketing 3+ infrared photos together?

I suppose so. All you have to do, is take those 3 images with the infrared filter on, import the 3 to turn into HDR, then turn that single image into infrared as shown in the video.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #38805 by Baydream

Hamtastic wrote: I'm curious on that also, does just having a filter on the camera yield the same results? I was told that the best way with infrared camera's is to have the camera converted to IR. I was thinking about getting a used camera this summer for that exact reason. Buy a inexpensive used DSLR from Craigslist, then send it off for the conversion and off I go!

Have a friend in Canada do that. Bought a Canon XT and sent it to Calif for conversion (about $500) and takes wonderful mural sized IR shots.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #38853 by Cliff

Baydream wrote:

Hamtastic wrote: I'm curious on that also, does just having a filter on the camera yield the same results? I was told that the best way with infrared camera's is to have the camera converted to IR. I was thinking about getting a used camera this summer for that exact reason. Buy a inexpensive used DSLR from Craigslist, then send it off for the conversion and off I go!

Have a friend in Canada do that. Bought a Canon XT and sent it to Calif for conversion (about $500) and takes wonderful mural sized IR shots.

Want kind of warranty do you get with that conversion?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #40086 by Moe
I like! :judge:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #40138 by Stealthy Ninja
I've never really liked infrared photos and honestly I wonder why people bother. :X

Still some people like them I suppose and each to their own. :D
13 years 2 weeks ago #41413 by Jacob1977

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I've never really liked infrared photos and honestly I wonder why people bother. :X

Still some people like them I suppose and each to their own. :D

Exactly, to each their own. Personally I really like the photos. Well if you haven't noticed I have a thread up discussing getting my first IR camera :banana:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinA65
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #140182 by mkfphotosdotcom
I bought a Canon Rebel XT on ebay and sent it off to Lifepixel.com to have it converted (twice, lol). The total cost at the time was about $700. Well worth it IMO. Yes! You can take HDR with IR. Much easier to do with a converted camera, as opposed to a filter. Btw, you can't just put an IR filter on a digital camera. Won't work. Also, someone asked about a warranty. If you mean the warranty on the camera, this sort of work will void your warranty. They remove the hot mirror filter from your camera.

If you'd like to see some HDR - IR images, take a look at this photographer:
www.mitchdobrowner.com/

If you'd like to see some of the images that I've taken with my IR converted camera (they're not great; Just okay):
www.spiffypix.com/infrared

I personally love taking IR images. They make you see the natural world in a different way.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinA65
12 years 7 months ago #140229 by robbie
Guess the videos are better than nothing,at least it gives you some info on Ir but very basic stuff.The processing is for bw,what if you want a color
image.Here is small gallery of my color Ir..
www.photographytalk.com/photo-galleries/...c=viewalbum&aid=2904

12 years 4 months ago #181475 by TrueJon Photography
I honestly don't understand the difference between IR, B&W, or even just, low saturated images. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. It seems that you could create and IR effect without any filter or camera conversion. Really what is the point/

-TrueJon Photography
12 years 4 months ago #181634 by mkfphotosdotcom
If you take a color image with green foliage and convert it to b/w, the leaves will be gray, not white, like IR would do.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024