Bleaching camera strap then dyeing yellow?

9 years 2 months ago #423448 by Trisha.M
I saw another thread here and didn't want to hijack their topic.  Anyway that got me thinking.  Can bleach my black camera strap then dye it yellow?  Or would that destroy the strap?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423452 by Cathy Kadolph

Trisha.M wrote: I saw another thread here and didn't want to hijack their topic.  Anyway that got me thinking.  Can bleach my black camera strap then dye it yellow?  Or would that destroy the strap?  

In order to dye it properly, they will need to use high heat. So what ever strap you are thinking about, might shrink a little.  Also you want to make sure either bleach or the high heat doesn't damage it.  I think the bleach might make it a yucky yellow and the yellow dye might work.  Honestly not 100% sure on this.  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423454 by Trisha.M
Oh boy, not sure about that.  I better have my husband take a look at this.  Dumb question, will normal bleach, whiten leather too?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423462 by J Hemingway
Your better off just buying something in yellow IMO

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423512 by garyrhook
If the strap is made from woven nylon, it likely will not bleach, nor take a new color.

If it's leather, you'll destroy it.

Cloth, it'll probably just look like hell.

Bleach is destructive. Go shopping.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423517 by Sue Bidwell
:agree:  bleach will destroy your strap.   

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423567 by icepics
Have you ever dyed anything? Haven't in years but what a mess! lol Have to cover anything within range of how far you might splatter it! and wear old clothes etc.

If you really want to try it, maybe go to a thrift store and see if you can find a junky strap to practice on and see if or how well it would work.

I'd try Adorama and see what you can find, or look up Mod camera straps, or see what else you can find.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423586 by Joves
As Gary said bleach is caustic, and will destroy your strap. Have you ever spilled it on a pair of pants? It bleaches the dye out, and then soon after little holes develop. So you have a choice buy a yellow strap, or if you are really ambitious make your own custom strap.

9 years 2 months ago #423862 by Ted Helm
If you are determined to do this, try it first on something similar and see what happens. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424291 by Connie K Photos
You know there are a few companies that make beautiful camera straps specifically for us woman?  Do a Google search for "Woman camera strap".  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424710 by Trisha.M
OMG I forgot to say thank you!  Super helpful advice. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427836 by Dana Leeson
What did you end up doing here?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024