- Canon RF 100 500 Lens Overview
- Canon RF 100 500 Pros and Cons
- Who Needs the Canon RF 100 500?
- Canon RF 100 500 Price
- Final Thoughts on the Canon RF 100 500
- Lens Type: Telephoto
- Camera System: Full-frame
- Lens Mount: Canon RF Lens Mount
- Focal Length: 100 - 500 mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5 - 7.1
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 90 cm
- Filter Size: 77 mm
- Focusing system: Autofocus & Manual Focus
- Maximum Magnification: 0.33x
- Size/Weight: 93.8 x 207.6 mm / 1365 grams
- Optical Image Stabilization: Yes
- Weather-Sealed: Yes
- Incredibly sharp photo and video quality
- Out of this world versatility provided by the zoom range
- Excellent optical image stabilization
- Advanced, responsive, and quiet autofocus system
- Compact and lightweight design for such a powerful telephoto lens
- The removable tripod collar is super handy
- Durable, weather-sealed body that can handle even the roughest of conditions
- Heat/cold resistant coating protects it from harsh temperatures
- Relatively low maximum aperture leaves something to be desired
- The teleconverters only work with longer focal lengths, 300+
- Some people find the placement of the control ring somewhat awkward
- It doesn’t fit all tripod mounts
- Super expensive
- Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Fisheye 3D
- Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM
- Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM
- Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM
- Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM
- Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
If you are on the lookout for a killer new telephoto lens and are considering purchasing the Canon RF 100 500, you came to the right place! Below, I share everything you need to know about this fantastic Canon lens.
I’ll start with a comprehensive overview breaking down all the key features and specs of the Canon RF 100 500. Next, I will cover where the lens excels and how it could improve in a section dedicated to its pros and cons. Finally, I discuss who will benefit from shooting with this lens and how much you can expect to pay for one.
What are we waiting for? Let’s dive in and discover all there is to know about the Canon RF 100 500.
Table of Contents
Canon RF 100 500 Lens Overview
The Canon RF 100 500 f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM is a professional superzoom lens built for Canon’s full-frame RF lens mount system. It hit stores in September 2020 to immediate fanfare and has been one of their most talked about and most sold lenses ever since.
This high-end Canon lens features 20 lens elements and 14 groups. Of the lens elements, six are ultra-low dispersion elements, and one is a super ultra-low dispersion element. They help deliver stunning photos and videos with superb detail while simultaneously preventing color fringing and chromatic aberrations.
Furthermore, the Canon RF 100 500 boasts built-in optical image stabilization technology that adds up to five additional stops of exposure. The stabilization significantly improves the lens's low-light performance and reduces camera shake during handheld video recording, making the footage much smoother.
More noteworthy features worth highlighting include a customizable control ring, lightning-fast dual nano autofocus that is both silent and responsive, and a weather-sealed body. Lastly, the Canon RF 100 500 is compatible with both the Canon Extender RF 1.4x and the Canon Extender RF 2.0x teleconverters, further expanding its zoom capabilities.
Here’s an in-depth look at the key features and specs of the Canon RF 100 500:
Canon RF 100 Pros and Cons
Here’s a quick look at where the Canon RF 100 500 shines brightest and where it lags behind the competition.
Who Needs the Canon RF 100 500?
photo by pchoui via iStock
While everyone would unquestionably benefit from owning the Canon RF 100 500, it’s a must-own lens for a few specific groups of people in particular.
The first one that immediately jumps off the page is wildlife photographers. One of the keys to successful wildlife photography is to have the ability to capture close-up images even from far-off distances. With this lens, that will never be an issue. You can maintain a safe and respectful distance from your subjects while at the same time taking stunningly detailed photos.
Sports photographers are the next group who has fallen madly in love with this lens. They consistently see excellent results when shooting with the Canon RF 100 500, thanks to the wide focal range and the accurate autofocus. No matter if your subjects are far or close or how fast they are moving, the flexibility of this lens always gets the job done.
Other photographers who will see impressive results when using the Canon RF 100 500 are macro photographers. The 0.33x maximum magnification means it’s not a true macro lens (it must have a maximum magnification of 1.0x or higher), but it's telephoto capabilities more than make up for it. Whether you prefer taking macro shots of flowers, insects, or food, you will be blown away by the lens's photo quality and sharpness.
Canon RF 100 500 Price
As a newer lens, the easiest way to get your hands on one of these bad boys is by purchasing one new on websites like Amazon. When buying a new lens, the current price is typically around $2,899. While it’s definitely not cheap, the value it provides photographers and videographers, especially professionals, makes it a great deal, in my opinion.
Final Thoughts on the Canon RF 100 500
If you own a Canon RF full-frame mirrorless camera, without a doubt, one of the best lenses you can buy is the Canon RF 100 500. It’s a premium lens that offers unmatched versatility and perfectly fits any photographer or videographer's camera kit.
If you are interested in purchasing more lenses for your full-frame Canon mirrorless camera, check out my other favorite Canon RF mount lenses below!