Astrophotography set up

3 years 6 months ago #491057 by KENT MELTON

astrodave wrote:

James F wrote: Was that a food truck that you converted to the astrovan?  Does the top spin around? 

Yes it has a dome that rotates with the telescope. You can see the other observatory to the background on the left. I think it used to be a Laundry delivery truck at one point. 

To Alex it looks pretty cool. Lots of blinky things and wires. I don't think I have an inside view. Here's a timelapse i did in the other observatory if you want to see it.

Gotta love Frank Sinatra!  Excellent choice of tunes.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #491058 by astrodave
Ha! the bright light is the very cresent moon about 5 in the morning. The spikes are refractions of light from the ice crystals in the air.

Ontherocks wrote:

astrodave wrote: No it actually looks like this. This was a test shot in March to see how my new imaging system would work this summer. That's the Astrovan in the foreground. It can be driven virtually anywhere but only up to 50mph.

Eliffman wrote:

astrodave wrote: Like everything else in life there is a need to know a budget. If you have unlimited budget I have a $25k mobile observatory with everything already to go. Top of the line gear and mobile. 

If not There are trackers for $300ish that work well at under 300mm. 

Additionally one of the major issues is weight the mount can care. For some of us its the amount of weight we can care. My main astro mounts can carry 250 lbs but they weigh in at 120 lbs so they are a pain to lug about hence my observatories.

For a DLSR setup a Star Adventurer or an Astrotrac are pretty easy to use and track well up to about 15lbs. I'd recommend either of those to someone wanting to "dabble".

Just my $.02

That mobile observatory sounds so cool, is that something you tow?

Ok, this is killer shot.  Now that light looks like something out of the movie "Thor" where Thor is getting 'shot' to Earth!  Really, what is that?

Photo Comments

3 years 6 months ago #491061 by Trisha.M

KENT MELTON wrote:

astrodave wrote:

James F wrote: Was that a food truck that you converted to the astrovan?  Does the top spin around? 

Yes it has a dome that rotates with the telescope. You can see the other observatory to the background on the left. I think it used to be a Laundry delivery truck at one point. 

To Alex it looks pretty cool. Lots of blinky things and wires. I don't think I have an inside view. Here's a timelapse i did in the other observatory if you want to see it.

Gotta love Frank Sinatra!  Excellent choice of tunes.  

I was thinking the same thing.  Went and turned on the whole song in my iTunes.  I have a brother and neighbor who have been tempting me with getting into astrophotography.  Just concerned about being a female and all the gear to carry!  That set up you have, looks incredible.  

Photo Comments

3 years 6 months ago #491153 by Peter Nunez
Excellent choice for music on both accounts!  

Photo Comments

3 years 6 months ago #491297 by Walter Tidwell
Have any of you tried those filters for cutting down light pollution effects on the cameras sensor?  It's a round thing that snaps in place right above the mirror?

Photo Comments

3 years 6 months ago #491338 by Rob Cline
Hey Dave, I was just looking at your photos.  How large are these shots when you are finished with them?  

BTW have you shot in the south hemisphere?  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020