Can someone explain what ISO is?

13 years 7 months ago #122 by PMurphy
Shopping around for a new and my first digital SLR, I keep seeing the term "ISO" mentioned. ISO 200-3200. What does this mean or what is it used for?

Photo Comments
13 years 7 months ago #310 by Lucky One
Here you go from Wikipedia:

Film speed is the measure of a photographic film's sensitivity to light, determined by sensitometry and measured on various numerical scales, the most recent being the ISO system. Relatively insensitive film, with a correspondingly lower speed index requires more exposure to light to produce the same image density as a more sensitive film, and is thus commonly termed a slow film. Highly sensitive films are correspondingly termed fast films. A closely related ISO system is used to measure the sensitivity of digital imaging systems. In both digital and film photography, the reduction of exposure corresponding to use of higher sensitivities generally leads to reduced image quality (via coarser film grain or higher image noise of other types). Basically, the higher the film speed, the worse the photo quality.

Historic systems

The former American Standards Association (ASA) and the German Institute for Standardization (DIN) each promulgated film speed standards that have now been combined into the current ISO standard (see below).

The British Standards Institute produced their own scale. It was for all practical purposes identical to the DIN system except that the BS number was always 10 greater than the DIN number. It may be that similarity that lead to its rapid demise.

GOST (Russian: ГОСТ) is an arithmetic scale which was used in the former Soviet Union before 1987. It is almost identical to the ASA standard, having been based on a speed point at a density 0.2 above base plus fog, as opposed to the ASA's 0.1.[1] After 1987, the GOST scale was aligned to the ISO scale. GOST markings are only found on pre-1987 photographic equipment (film, cameras, lightmeters, etc.) of Soviet Union manufacture[2].
[edit] Current ISO system

The current International Standard for measuring the speed of color negative film is called ISO 5800:1987[3] from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Related standards ISO 6:1993[4] and ISO 2240:2003[5] define scales for speeds of black-and-white negative film and color reversal film. This system defines both an arithmetic and a logarithmic scale, combining the previously separate ASA and DIN systems.[6]

In the ISO arithmetic scale, corresponding to the ASA system, a doubling of the sensitivity of a film requires a doubling of the numerical film speed value. In the ISO logarithmic scale, which corresponds to the DIN scale, adding 3° to the numerical value that designates the film speed constitutes a doubling of that value. For example, a film rated ISO 200/24° is twice as sensitive as a film rated ISO 100/21°.[6]

Commonly, the logarithmic speed is omitted, and only the arithmetic speed is given; for example, “ISO 100”.[7]

13 years 7 months ago #422 by DavidNM
Here's the beauty of this. In the old days (and on my current film camera) you buy film that's 100, 200, 400, 800 and put the roll in your camera. That's it - you shoot at the speed of the film you've inserted. if you're going to be indoors with a flash - 200. Outdoor landscapes - 100?. More movement - toss up - 400. Action - 800 or even faster for running sports - race cars, etc.

Now - in digital cameras you can either set the speed for auto - or you can manually change the speed with every picture - not being tied into a whole roll of 200, 400, etc.

13 years 7 months ago #475 by PMurphy
Have you been in photography long?

Photo Comments
13 years 7 months ago #819 by agentorange
Yeah, I remember the film camera days!! It seem so much easier back then.

13 years 7 months ago #852 by Tennis Guy
I was told that ISO is like worker bee's, I forget how that made sense, but it seemed to make sense when it was told to me! :silly:

13 years 7 months ago #1030 by therocker
Nice explanation Lucky One!! I sure miss the film days!! Now almost everything has gone digital and left me in the dust. I have a lot to learn.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024