circular polarizer filters

9 years 5 months ago #130038 by Monitor Boy
Do you think it is best to leave your CP filters attached to your lens all the time and just turn the filter on or off as needed or to leave it off and put it on only when you intend to use it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #130044 by Tgauge9
I do not leave mine on. You also can not turn it off, if you mean like turning off a switch.

9 years 5 months ago #130046 by Baydream
The filter will reduce the light getting to your sensor making your lens slower. Best to use it when needed and remove it when not needed.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #130048 by Monitor Boy
well if you rotate it to use the filter then you should be able to rotate it to turn the filter so it isnt polarized right?

9 years 5 months ago #130051 by Tgauge9
Yes you turn the filter for desired effect but it still is darking the image when its on. So you will be losing some light with it always on.

9 years 5 months ago #130054 by Baydream
Look at the filter. No matter which way you turn it, it is dark. That reduces light passage.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

9 years 5 months ago #130055 by Monitor Boy
Oh ok. Thank you guys. :) It never really gets turn off...unless I take it off from the lens.

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #130109 by Henry Peach
If it worked all the time then I might be more inclined to leave it on, but it's effectiveness depends not only on adjusting the filter, but it's orientation to the light source. With really wide lenses I often see the polarizing effect fade and strengthen across the photo. That's no good. If I'm not getting a good polarizing effect I'd rather not have it cutting down on the light.

9 years 5 months ago #130127 by cod
Most polarizers lose 1 to 2 stops of light depending on how you have set them. If you are not "polarizing the light" then you are essentially using your filter as a 1 stop neutral density filter. I wouldn't do that without good reason.

As has been pointed out, the degree of polarization depends on the direction relative to the light source. Polarization typically works best when you are shooting at right angles to the light source. When shooting almost parallel to the light source the polarizer is pointless. Again you're losing light for no reason. And as Henry pointed out, since the degree of polarization depends on angle, wide angle shots can be messed up by by a polarizer.

As with all filters, polarizers have a particular function. Use them deliberately when you know you need that function. Don't use them the rest of the time.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021