What does DPI Mean??

12 years 5 months ago #167196 by deemarie
this is something i struggle understanding- especially since my camera has settings to shoot for max resolution, and also need to know what settings i want depending on what size pic i want to print as- very confusing for me-

is there another thread on this somewhere?:huh:

deemarie
12 years 5 months ago #167198 by VT Hiker
There's DPI and PPI. When you talk about print quality, that's a product of PPI. Here is one of many pages that discuss the two.

As far as camera settings, always go with the best ("large/fine", or whatever it's called). Whether you want to put them to paper or on a website or anything else, you can resize later. It's [WAY] better to have a large original image that you can scale down than a small image and try to scale it up.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #167818 by Henry Peach
DPI = dots per inch
PPI = pixels per inch

Both are often used interchangeably, but DPI is really a measurement of how ink jet printers work, and it would be better to use PPI when discussing digital photo resolution.

PPI is scale. If I have a 300x300 pixel size image file and I display it at 100 PPI then it will be 3"x3". If I display it at 300 PPI it will be 1"x1". If I display it at 600 PPI it will be 1/2"x1/2". So by itself PPI tells us nothing about resolution. I can set a 10 x 10 pixel image to 300 PPI, but that doesn't change the fact that it's only a tiny reslution photo. Without the physical dimensions PPI is meaningless. If the minimum dimensions are not specified it's an indication the rule writer doesn't understand PPI. They just heard that 300 PPI is standard for high resolution. I get this all the time from magazines and websites that want to publish my photos. It does not inspire confidence that they do not understand the simple fundamentals of their job.

PPI can be changed at will with processing software. As long as the file is not resampled (changing the pixel dimensions) resolution does not change. If I have a 2000x3000 pixel photo it doesn't matter if it's 100 PPI, 300 PPI, or 600 PPI, the file remains the same. It's just a matter of how big it would print. You don't have to worry about PPI if you are not doing your own printing. The lab machines will set it to whatever is needed for the print size you order.

A bigger question for me is why do they need you to submit a high resolution file for a contest? If it's a print contest you should submit a print. If it's a web display contest then high res is not needed. I would examine the fine print very carefully before submitting anything. Many of these contests are tricks to collect free photos from amateur photographers rather than paying for stock photography or a pro. Never give up your rights to the photos. Real art contests will not ask you to do so. Possibly it's just a recommendation to help out amateurs, but be careful.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024